No more stock EFI. Now, what all can I get rid of electrically under hood?

Bryan M.

Reaction score
I'm set to clean up the wiring under my Imp's hood. I want to get rid of a ton of the wiring that the EFI system was using, since the car will only go back to EFI by using an aftermarket system. I don't want to just hack the wiring back, I want the wiring GONE. Anyone done this, or have pointers?

NoCar340

Reaction score
About the best thing you can do is use a factory wiring diagram and start pluckin'. There's a whole bunch of it coming out, that's for sure. Being in a similar situation, I'm going to strip my engine bay of wiring completely and just put back what I need, which won't be much considering what's there now. About the only things going through the factory connector will be the starter wiring for the ignition switch, lamp wiring, and few miscellaneous items like AC & speedo sensor. Everything else is going through a custom Ampseal disconnect.

Bryan M.

Reaction score
@Blackbird, right now it's a Carter carb. Looking at Holley and Edelbrock systems, but a new EFI is a little ways out. Right now I just want to get all of the old stock EFI wiring out of the bay.

Mr.Lopar

Reaction score
could you take the engine harness from a M and use it (after its been converted already of course)?

Bryan M.

Reaction score
I've thought about that, but I'd have to modify it for lights and the headlight door motor. That, and I'd have to remove the LB system wiring out of one anyways. Not sure if M and J harnesses line up, or if Imperial bulkhead connectors work with anything else. Reviewing my electrical book now to see...

Mr.Lopar

Reaction score
ahh yeah I keep forgettin the imps have hidaway headlights. figured it might be easier to use a M one, that way you could remove the lb crap and get it all figured out that way you could still drive the car till its time to do the swap

tim berry

Reaction score
No car is right use the factory sevice mauals wiring diagram . Thats how i removed the lean burn set up on my car its the best way to clean up the mess dont be intimidated buy the amount of wires just do them one at a time and make shure you fully trace out the wires you plan to eliminate . Also the engine has its own harness just unplug it and mark all the ends that get terminated around the engine bay . This way you can sit around the kitchen table and get to cutting the wires you dont need and cut them where they are spliced at the soldered joints . But spend time looking before cutting

Back