Not sure where to put this question

Davesmopar

Reaction score
BudW you inbox is full.... please move this to were it goes....
Not ready for sale yet.

I need to sell my A body rear end to pay for building my B body rear end

I don't have a clue what to ask it..... would you happen to have any idea what to ask for it????

8 3/4, 2.76 open with a 741 case.... backing plate to backing plate....

Duke5A

Reaction score
I paid $250 for a 1966 B body axle with the same gear, case, open and complete. This was 17 years ago. I'd try $400 and see if it sells. If you need it gone quicker then $300.

Since it's an A axle though and it won't bolt in any F/M/J cars without modifications like the 66-70 B axle, you'll probably get more interest in it on FABO or Moparts.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I just now read this (and had cleaned out my inbox several hours ago), sorry

This would be hard to this make fit into an FMJ vehicle. It can be done but cost vs. benefit just wouldn’t be there.

A month ago, I just paid $225.00 (plus freight) for a ’68 B-body 8¾” housing and axles (no carrier/gears, though).

I'd highly recommend selling the carrier/gears separate from the housing/axle shafts. Everyone wants the 742 and 489 cases – but for most of us, the 741 is a very stout carrier. I can’t comment on the price for the carrier (I’ve a half dozen carriers in my garage for last 30+ years – so had no need to price any).

As for the housing and axles, I recommend creating an account at FABO For A Bodies Only Mopar Forum and selling it there. This is a common and sought-after item for newer A-bodies or those wanting to get rid of their 7¼” differential (imagine that). If it is from an A-body, then it will fit into any A-body - but there might be an issue with older 5x4" vs. newer 5x4.5" bolt pattern wheels.

The carrier/gears can be sold most anywhere – for it will fit into ANY 8¾” differential (except for the front diff’s on 4*4 pickups). The downside is the gear ratio (2.76 – not popular) and being an open carrier.

For carrier/gear pricing, I would go to FABO (or FBBO, FCBO or FEBO) and look in the “for sale” section. Sense you will be new there, I wouldn’t expect anyone there to pay the "I’m going to get rich" price there. The “going price” or the “get rid of it soon” price would be what I would look for.

The housing and axles can be shipped via FedEx without too much effort. The carrier or complete axle – NO. The complete axle would need to be placed on a pallet and shipped via truck.
The carrier can be a bit fun to ship because it’s so heavy and I don’t have any recommendations on shipping one.

There is a good likelihood the carrier (and/or housing/axles) can be sold locally via Craigslist (maybe) – but I think you would get a better price/quicker sale on FABO.

Hopefully this helps
BudW

Davesmopar

Reaction score
thanks guys I had planned on selling it on the a body forum, but I didn't want to ask them what to sell it for LOL

Yeah I like the idea of shipping it separate....

Should I make a cover to fit the big hole?

toolmanmike

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I paid $250 for a 1966 B body axle with the same gear, case, open and complete. This was 17 years ago. I'd try $400 and see if it sells. If you need it gone quicker then $300.

Since it's an A axle though and it won't bolt in any F/M/J cars without modifications like the 66-70 B axle, you'll probably get more interest in it on FABO or Moparts.
You should be able to sell it quick for $400. I say start it at $500 on FABO. If it was a Sure Grip it would be worth twice as much. You can always go down. You will probably have to strap it to a pallet to ship it. I would leave it whole. I would suggest Fastenal. They will ship large items and are reasonably priced.

F body Deconstructor Jim

Reaction score
axles?
small or big bolt axles?
just backing plates...for what brakes...1.75"? 2.5"?

original A body 8.75 housing bare I'd start at $500...should be easy sale imo.
"complete" w decent gear open and original tiny brakes/axles around $1K and up.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
The 8¾” housing, axles, shock plates and U-bolts I received (in September) was wrapped in cardboard. The sender used shipping tape to tape the shock plates and U-bolts to the outside tubes. He also placed the axles into the housing ends and put the axle nuts on to keep axles from falling out. He also put the carrier nuts in place a few turns, as well. He bubble wrapped the axle ends a few times then used a lot of cardboard. The box weighted maybe 50 pounds (wasn’t too hard to carry) and it roughly resembled a differential.
I can’t remember exactly, but I think freight was $57 (maybe) for the 9 items mentioned above (no brake parts).

The 8¾” I bought in December (an entire assembly) is still on a truck being shipped to me (on a pallet) now – and shipping for it wasn’t cheap ($200).

This spring, I was going to take both housings, get ‘em blasted and painted nice and ready to install into both cars.
BudW

Back