Oil galley plugs

brotherGood

Reaction score
Alright, next on my offseason list is to tighten the leaking oil galley plugs. The one I know of, is on the passenger side of the block.

So, what's the easiest way to get to it? I'm still deciding on either hooking up a chain hoist in the garage, or borrowing an engine hoise (dad sold the one we had) or finding a transmission jack. Eventually I'll have at least one use for all 3 options, but surely getting to these plugs will be a bit more complicated than that.

Thanks

brotherGood

Reaction score
The shop that cleaned the block put them in, but didnt tighten them. Dad didnt know anything about them until it started pouring out after first start ups at that point he thought it was just the one.

It pushes smoke hard under hard throttle, you can hear the valve train noise under the same heavy load, and when it does that you can see oil between the bellhousing and inspection plate.

It doesnt lose oil though, and I've got good pressure/no issues on the drivers side..that's what rules out (to me anyway) pan gasket and or main seal.

Camtron

Reaction score
Pull it, pull it, pull it lol

There’s two behind the distributor, covered by the bell house. There’s also another inside the block (right in front of the distributor) that’s easy to get to from one of the previously mentioned plugs behind the distributor while they’re out.

brotherGood

Reaction score
My hesitation is pulling it all apart, is a 360 magnum sitting on a stand in the garage already. This 318 is running great, finally. If I've gotta disassemble it, I'd might as well build the 360 up and swap them.

I was hoping I could just tighten the plug (didnt realize there were so many to begin with) and at the very least enjoy it. I'd love to make 1 pass, and 1 pull just to see where it stood before switching..but if this is going to require more work than initially planned, I'll swap them.

Camtron

Reaction score
Man, that’s a tuff call.
Personally, I wouldn’t trust the other plugs to be tight either (it’s really disheartening how many guys have oil galley plug issues when they get their engine back from their builder) and wouldn’t risk hurting a good engine...this maybe a good season to pull the trigger on the 360 swap.

brotherGood

Reaction score
That's where I'm at with it. The 318 was never the end goal, but ive yet to see how it runs at full strength, yet to see the time or numbers so I feel like ive got unfinished business with it.

Add to that, the 360 wasn't supposed to be dealt with this year, but crap happens I suppose. I just wish I could easily get to the one, tighten it, and get my pass/dyno time out of the way in the spring.. then just enjoy it the rest of next season

Back