Oil galley plugs

Duke5A

Reaction score
I replaced the lifter.

Sorry if I come off as a know-it-all. Just reread some of my posts and it kind of reads like I'm badgering you. :eek: Details weren't in the previous threads and I just kind of filled in the blanks with assumptions. Just trying to help out.

brotherGood

Reaction score
No need to apologize, I've dealt with much worse.. hahaha

This reply was short because I was at work trying to find someone to fix the boiler at the house before my wife and 2 year old got home. It was 50° at noon.. no bueno.

I replaced the lifter and pushrod, torqued the rockers to spec, and sealed the crap out of the intake. The pressure sender was also wicked loose, so hopefully I've managed to fix the top end points of an oil leak. I'll probably go ahead and change the oil (antifreeze got in when I pulled the intake) and run it to get everything checked off, then pull the trans and address the back of the engine.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Coolant is very hard on engine bearings (crankshaft and camshaft) so kudos to for changing the engine oil afterwards.

New lifters (non-roller) have a convex surface on them. A person can take a new (or good) lifter end and it will rock against long flat side. If top is flat or concave, then both camshaft and lifter is bad.
iuPD69252N.jpg

The camshaft lobes have a slight tilt to them, as shown above. That tilt along with the convex lifter end will make the lifters (and push rod) rotate when engine is rotating for minimum wear.

Roller lifters/camshafts do not have this lobe tilt to them. Using a roller lifter on a tilted cam or non-roller lifters on a roller cam will damage both in no time.

That said, sometimes there can be a bit of varnish buildup on top or bottom of lifter side. Those take a bit more to extract.

If parts were not going to be reused, taking a screwdriver or small pry bar underneath the block hole and pushing up can get one out – but that has a strong likelihood of damaging the camshaft. I’ve seen someone take a scrap piece of wood and work the way to cam lobe and lifter and rotating the camshaft (or engine) will get it past the varnish buildup. There are also a dedicated lifter tool to get one out – but finding one might be difficult.
BudW

Back