On the "CHEAP" freindly comp?

rumblefish360

Reaction score
A topic started at a sister site (FABO) and moved me to start a thread up, but before you click and read this --->
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=137167

The idea is to go as fast as you can as cheap as you can. If your the fastest, so what. How cheap was it is the real issue. Showing others how fast you can go for as little as possible is the theme. There are no prizes, no cash awards, no trophys, maybe, jusy maybe a pat on the back and a "Atta boy!" for doin well. Follow all NHRA saftey rules to be safe.

To this end, after many posts banging back and forth, I had some help from Mike at MRL racing to come up with these basic rules/ideas of what "On the Cheap" should be.

How about a simpler set of rules? Something like;

Stock OE iron heads and valve sizes that came in the head.

Porting?

No porting. I'd prefur no porting since it is an extra expense many might not have. If you port it, TELL US, SHOW US! If you have SOMEONE DO IT, tell us, show us.
Home porting should be mild. Like bowl work, flashing.
No expoy or welding.

Milling OK.

Stock converter in the trans, shift kit OK, and thats it.

You can change;

Air cleaner
carb
intake
cam
rear gears
tires

Moving shifter to floor is OK. Lokar cables are fine, there not a HP adder.
Cage if you think you need it. Subframe connectors are OK as well.
Tire size as you see fit.

So? How does that sound? Can you go fast for peanuts?
Can you show us how you did it and for how much? Cheaper the better!
Care to join members (If possible In Ga. and N.J.?) for a freindly meet and eat at the track while showing off your cheapness but yet quick ride?

Beaters welcomed! What better to use?

ramenth

Reaction score
Cool idea, rumble.

I won't be participating, I just like the concept behind it. Especially given the knowledge on these boards in light of the Mopar Muscle "low buck" build. Call the mags and ask 'em to do a feature on it. Then maybe they'd learn what "low buck" actually means.

spoetyone

Reaction score
Cool idea, rumble.

I won't be participating, I just like the concept behind it. Especially given the knowledge on these boards in light of the Mopar Muscle "low buck" build. Call the mags and ask 'em to do a feature on it. Then maybe they'd learn what "low buck" actually means.

true that!!

Mroldart2u

Reaction score
Just wondering RF did this ever get off the ground? Old thread I know but inquiring minds wanna know...lol

efriedrich

Reaction score
I think there was some kind of slant six get together but that was a long while ago. I wish we could do something like that, it sounds like lots of fun. I would throw some nitrous on the 318 and be ready to go. lol

Last edited:

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Not sure how much I can squeeze out of my slant.
Maybe I'll just bring the 5th ave.
And Friedrich can loan me some of that nitrous. :icon_super:

4892stk

Reaction score
Take a look at this from NHRA National event at St. Louis in Stock Eliminator Qualifying:
#17 qualifier #5225 V/SA Mike Jeffrey, Lexington NE, '80 Diplomat 14.834 15.50 -0.666

Or this one from IHRA divisional event in Florida
#2 fastest qualifier #2239 I/SA Jim Wahl, Deltona FL, '78 Road Runner 7.112 8.05 -0.938

both of these cars run in Stock Eliminator Mike with the slant six 2bbl motor and Jim with the 318 4bbl or 360 4bbl.
Basic mods allowed are any gear and converter, replacement pistons but must be approved stock replacement with actual compression to factory specs, maximum overbore of .070" and stock stroke +/- .015", unported factory casting heads, stock lift camshaft with original type of lifter, stock intake and stcok type carb or throttle body, 9" slick on rear and any bolt on traction bars. No gutting of car to remove weight and body must be basically stock as it came from factoty. Full interior with only removal of back seat allowed.

Last edited:
Back