Opinions on this Radio

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Ive been looking for the radio with this type crinkle face.

I found this and it looks ok, not happy on the asking price but I never am but it might fill a void and I could then dump the NOS CB I bought recently.

But this is not a mopar made radio like most, to be frank it looks cheap as hell.

Seller says maybe AV, well I see no close up pic of that sticker. I do know in the 80-s Japan was chipping Mustang brand fakes as I used to buy them at the flea market, but its been a long time.

So what/how does this look to you quality wise, Im really more in it for appearance purposes then function, but dam, look at the mounting ears.

NOS Mopar 1975-79 AM-FM 8 Track Radio | eBay

Eskay.jpg

Last edited:

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Well doing some internet searching it seems this is a universal radio, made in Japan, in this pic below its in RCA form.

RCA20C425_3.jpg

Aspen500

Reaction score
Obviously aftermarket but, the part you see when the car is together looks the same as an original Mopar radio. Considering it's an unused unit and AM/FM/8-Track, the price doesn't seem TOO out of line. I know what you mean though about not being happy with the asking price though. I'm the same way, lol.

I vaguely remember radios like that from somewhere and not only Mopar, but GM and Ford too. Not sure where or when but it does look familiar. I do recall dealer installed radios for Ford's were aftermarket that appeared to be original Ford on the front, the rest was somewhat different. Possible that's what this is, a Mopar dealer installed radio? Speculating is all.

XfbodyX

Reaction score
GRRRRR what to do. I need this, the nos cb has the gloss face plate but it could go.

Although if it works on install I cant see not alot of use.

F body Deconstructor Jim

Reaction score
2 things I don't get...

One. Why is it listed as mopar nos? It's not mopar....it's just old, unused.

And B. Didn't see anything about condition of that old rubber belt, capstain roller, could all be goo by Now.

Got some old 8 tracks your itching to hear again?:D

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Well my one rig, I need a black krinkle face radio, nos, id not care if it were am only, just needs to be perfect.

Ive passed on this listing, and will just say I didnt receive satisfactory answers to my questions to feel comfortable enough to pop $275, Im too poor to roll the dice on a sketchy radio/listing and have carp when its all said and done.

F body Deconstructor Jim

Reaction score
Been going thru a reorganization of ...stuff...finding those items I squirreled away...
And getting rid of all the bb junk I've been tripping over for decades...made some room around here...lol

volare 77

Reaction score
I have two of those radios. They both are broke at the capstan. It is a very weak area because the weighted flywheel when flipped over snaps off the capstan. I had one printed in plastic and it didn`t work well. I JB welded one of them that wasn`t broke too bad and it is working for now. It is a RCA aftermarket radio from that time period. Odds are that one is broke also and if not it will be after shipping.

XfbodyX

Reaction score
The top picture is the radio from the listing, the lower pic is the same radio boxed as an RCA but also sold under Audiovox, and one other.

Kinda like the white box camshaft the everyone sells.

So technically its not an RCA, AudioVox, ect... its a universal jap knockoff sold to many, or more so like alot of the current junk china heads that everyone has there company logo cnc-ed on them.

Seller would not provide me a closeup pic of the PN and tech info on the radio, says he got it (didnt say bought, borrowed, ect) from the dealership he worked at in the 80-s, no box, no paperwork, just a peice of foam on each end.

Seller had another listing I really was interested in but got a total bullshit answer to a question because I knew the answer 100% factually before asking and even saw part of the assembly listed and sold by him in a prior listing but was told just by chance both boxes were obtained separately, and both were missing the same part from both.

So I gotta pass, I dont want to be this guy with the crow bar.

XfbodyX

Reaction score
To make it clear, the listing is the unmarked white box special. Its got the real MFG sticker on it. Its not marked RCA.

Look at the station indicator on the one in the listing vs the one marketed as an RCA.

I wanted to see the org. japan company name that made it. There were the same type cheap $40 knockoffs I seen at the fle markets in the early 80-s to be sure it wasnt like the cheap, work for a week Mustang brand I wanted to see it. And if it is the cheap knockoff, an added reason not to buy.

RCA20C425_3.jpg

Last edited:

volare 77

Reaction score
What is weird is the wiring looks more like the RCA then the Chrysler radio. This is the pic of a Chrysler radio. Even the design of the radio is different. The Chrysler radio uses metal clips to hold the face plate on not screws like the RCA. Mopar 1970's AM FM 8 Track Radio | eBay

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Also the huge give away is the cheap thin metal mounting tabs.

We all know mopar radios for our cars, they run very consistent.

This is a cheap cheap low end jap unit, seller says he got from dealership, I cant say its not true but.

I really wouldnt be happy at $75. Im glad my impulse buying has eased up with age.

XfbodyX

Reaction score
I think I can make the one Jim posted work.

Time is not on my side.

Last edited:
Back