Out with the Inland, in with the Hurst!

old yellow 78

Reaction score
I finally got around to swapping out the factory Inland shifter in OY to the Hurst Competition Plus shifter that I bought from Brewers Performance last year at Carlisle. I am amazed at what a difference it makes! I am REALLY pleased! The shifts are firm and direct with no slop or clattering. I didn't realize how cheap the Inlands were until now. Also, no more having to lift the shifter up to get into reverse! I mean, if you have to have that annoyance to keep from accidentally shifting into reverse, you should be driving an automatic. I bought it at Brewer's stand in the swap meet area from Wayne Brewer, who was very patient and helpful and set me up with everything that I needed, shifter, linkage, bushings, washers, everything. WELL WORTH IT!!

old yellow 78

Reaction score
I'll get a few pics this weekend. I really had no idea how bad the Inland was compared to the Hurst. Sort of like stirring a bucket of paint vs precise and sure moves from gear to gear. The difference is really remarkable!

Aspen500

Reaction score
My first car, a 1970 Barracuda Gran Coupe had a pistol grip and the lever said HURST on it but the shifter was really an Inland. What a piece of crap. Like you said, move the shift lever and MAYBE shift gears, or maybe end up in neutral or go for 3rd and end up in 1st. That'll wake you up in a hurry!

Back