OY pics and plans

old yellow 78

Reaction score
I was looking for something in a box of junk and came across what I recognized as a center cap button for the Aspen three spoke steering wheel!
IMG_20190317_114621366.jpg

Not sure where it came from, but I think it was off my '78 Aspen T-top originally. For most of the time that I owned the T-top, I used a button identical to this one, but with a black background instead of the standard white. I vaguely remember getting the black one off another Dodge in a junkyard, but not from an Aspen. But I liked it better. I believe I still have that black one in the garage somewhere. o_O The wheel which I received from SilverD 1973 was missing the center button, so this white one is obviously better than nothing. Fits right in perfectly.
IMG_20190317_114509353_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190317_114701860_HDR.jpg

So, although the black one is in the garage "somewhere", and was really nice as I remember, this white one is right here, and I'm wondering how to clean it up without ruining it. It was hard plastic originally, but now seems to have softened on the top surface and collected a lot of dirt. I was thinking of trying to clean it off using acetone or maybe something less aggressive like paint thinner or alcohol. Anyone have any ideas"

Also, I would like to dye the center cap and the horn button strips to match the original "butterscotch" color, but am not sure that it would work. They are faded from time and sun. Does anyone remember the brand name of the dye that worked really well on interior parts? Also, does this dye work well on these flexible plastic parts?
IMG_20190317_114804692_HDR.jpg

Aspen500

Reaction score
I have used the SEM Color Coat on everything from soft vinyl (seats, door panels, etc) to the hard vinyl (more commonly called plastic) of the dash and console and it's held up very well so far. It should be fine also on any vinyl, soft, medium or hard.

On cleaning the emblem, best way is to start with the mildest cleaner and work your way up. Like start with Dawn dishwashing soap, then go from there. I'm guilty (in the past) of going way too harsh right off the bat and being sorry when it takes the finish right off, or outright ruins the part. :eek:

Oldiron440

Reaction score
Bulldog is a adhesion promoter that I use on plastics with out fail, great products.

Aspen500

Reaction score
I've always used the SEM cleaner and SEM adhesion promoter. They work well also. Like they say, clean, clean, clean, clean it again, then when you think you're done, clean it again:cool:

Oldiron440

Reaction score
SEM is quality products although I've never tried there adhesion promoter.

Darth-Car

Reaction score
I know for steering wheels, and dashes the guys who are the mobile interior guys that go to the dealerships have a product they use to revive interior colors on steering wheels that is very much like a shoe polish. It looks great until you hit it with some type of consumer grade interior polish, like Armerall. Then it comes right off. The interior guys say that having it come off is a good thing, because it does not harm the actual material it is applied to, allowing it to breathe so that it does not crack, or brittle.

old yellow 78

Reaction score
Ah ha! I have been alerted to the fact of Marty Mopar posting an NOS listing for these center emblems and others.
FOR SALE - NOS Steering wheel ornaments 1978-81
I notice that the Dodge emblem in the upper right of the photo is slightly different from the one that I have, and it has a different part number than my '78 emblem does, but if it is the same diameter, I'd be happy. PM sent.

old yellow 78

Reaction score
If I squint my eyes, I can just see this wagon sitting on the lot in Canon City, Colorado, brand new back in 1978! "What a long strange trip it's been" OY! ;)

qUDReklM3z6OswwlVRxr7IXq45qbxEXaUR7JgfHrXOplrB3Pm93hNTpSGMtuk7hJkDdx06tUBadMrE7nCg=w1248-h702-no.jpg

z5PHKpTpnVO6ogvVaAG5kVOrQiVkG6R5LerSHdD9MDsgVaEBHpt7XEy6lg1cjbFb8WIlHROEe1XYrF6pkQ=w1248-h702-no.jpg

old yellow 78

Reaction score
I seeee you. Beautiful evening, right?
Too bad I didn't see you Opticon77, it would have been nice to meet you in person. I didn't see any other F,M,or J's. Did you bring your ride? It was indeed a beautiful late fall day. At least I got to take OY to one show this year, although it was the last Macungie Cruise for the year. I'm hoping to be able to get to the Riegelsville Roll Out and the Vargo show yet in early November, but then OY goes into hibernation for the winter. OY wasn't in the shape that I would have liked to show it, but I decided to go anyway. I don't know if you saw the plaid door panels were in the cargo area still waiting to be installed. I did replace my Colorado front tag with the very cool (IMO) Vargo Dragstrip tag. I remember going to Vargo's as a kid in the 60's. The blue Dart Sport next to OY belongs to my friend, and it also only has about 40K original miles on it.

gyFYYwAWI_nKxzyLt-eKpwrhdoKEZi44lTmvxD_8lweEW_5ADVKXIwBQxwJ-977UTOU1V7Q8gcvtmYKgVQ=w1248-h702-no.jpg

POsUCaWSKXP4PzYYBf6Nz9Skee3SKBVvMliNqdZkl50T97EKKxcvVV7DOZme99DtrIZNaBb5f5xO7igoCw=w1248-h702-no.jpg

-UjTLKGMsIkw7Gk9X3thHhZWLorkD0_R_CJBEJMQME3ZHmnJ0TUd_e_3OoGfFMo7EZR1WDvGMj0Qps_Fzw=w1248-h702-no.jpg

Did you see the pair of '55 and '56 Plymouths? The two unrestored four doors next to each other were very interesting and showed the progression of the Exner fins. Too bad there wasn't also a '54 and a '57 on either side of them.

7rBJ56VqrOGwbOdsVapQ_yIQTmZWdTpQpJ003vQ4eocG3IdL-61QmYtp4Dyxrs_FseYM3-T89n2sUv8bUQ=w1248-h702-no.jpg

GGguiRRHBCG8DmuEAAMsXRubPLuDq4lCx2FkCi8szNlO564DgRvBELARcOAHqEbBCmVBWD4w7-FZIUQCCw=w1248-h702-no.jpg

kLMFDuSwWgJw5aOZFAd-howqrjHWWxDZaDAYZ6BH9K3tUasV6XwET5U7pwdsmnWAk5CPts5ET7GyoNj_EQ=w1248-h702-no.jpg

EXFvumw2aHaPuul0FAkoms_44-8CbzuO1YBob1OWXQr8JhwkFrSDfWdgstZSbLSxG4oL7Bpv8TpYia0O5Q=w1248-h702-no.jpg

I was trying to figure out whether Mopar had used the same trunk lid for both years just with different trim. They seem to have the exact same shape.

Opticon77

Reaction score
My wagon was on a lift for some suspension upgrades. I'm not sure I've ever got it to Macungie yet actually. Next year.

Had Pop's 66 Fury out there instead. The white one with the big smoothie wheels.

old yellow 78

Reaction score
Ah! I saw that, but had no idea you were there with it. Nice! There was another contrast between two '66 Plymouths, one a Fury I and the one next to it a Fury III. Didn't get pictures unfortunately.

Aspen500

Reaction score
The '55 and '56 Plymouth's look like about all they did was change the 1/4's. Trunk, roof, doors, windows, hood, bumpers, etc all appear to be the same, at least in a photo.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I was trying to figure out whether Mopar had used the same trunk lid for both years just with different trim.
Before you said anything, I had my fingers out in front of monitor kinda eyeballing the same thing. If there is any differences, it is minor (based off of those two pictures.).
BudW

old yellow 78

Reaction score
I just tried to scan some ancient pics of my second Mopar ever (even though my family was strongly Chevrolet/Buick oriented, I dared to break ranks). It was a wonderful '70 Challenger R/T that was only three years old when I bought it. :) I drove it for five years and foolishly sold it. o_O The next owner was a woman who seemed to love it as much as I did, but then she put it in a ditch, and banged up the entire passenger side. :eek: She stupidly then gave it to her idiot nephew who completely trashed and abused it :mad:. He finally just left it sitting broken and ruined on their street where I last saw it before it got hauled off to the junkyard :(. I still remember the night that I picked it up at the dealer and was completely mesmerized by the soft green glow of the dash lights and the changing colors of the floor mounted TorqueFlight shifter! :D I drove it home and immediately put it in the garage and explored every single inch of it. Man, I loved that car!!
upload_2019-10-25_20-13-2.png

upload_2019-10-25_20-13-50.png

upload_2019-10-25_20-14-34.png

Check out the double stripe whitewalls!! Woo Hoo!!:p
upload_2019-10-25_20-15-10.png

After I sold the Challenger, I endured a brief, unpleasant several month ownership of a POS best forgotten, and then bought my first F body. It was a two year old '76 Volare Premier wagon with /6 and four speed in dark brown with butterscotch interior. I drove that car all over the US for several months in 1978 camping in national parks and often sleeping in it on the best solo trip that I ever took. I have to find some picks of that wagon to post.

Below is a pic of my first Mopar, a 1951 Dodge Coronet that my Dad bought for me for a "field beater" when I was 13. I drove it round and round our fields until I was 16 and became licensed. In those three years, I put about 1000 miles on it in the fields. It too was then hauled off to the junkyard :(, but I have such good memories of it and will never forget it!;) I still have a few bits and pieces of it to this day.
upload_2019-10-25_20-24-1.png

Ele115

Reaction score
Used to see a lot of those double stripe tires. My AMX had them.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Wish I had more pics of past cars. Some I have no pics of at all.:(

I remember when we went to the dealership to pick up the new car, a '68 Coronet (4 dr sedan) and the 1st thing I noticed was the neat side marker lights and the 2nd was the cool twin blue stripe tires, on the blue (B7) wheels with dog dishes. One of the few things I remember from when I was 4 years old. Even then, I was already a car guy.:)

Back