Painted Gas Cap

Mikesteer

Reaction score
So I am needing to replace the gas cap on my Volare KC and wondering what is out there as I will need to paint it, most available are chrome caps but that is not what is supposed to be on there and I am coming up empty on ebay for paintable caps, any ideas?

Oldiron440

Reaction score
I can’t remember but isn’t the cap two piece, an inner and an outer? It seems like I used the new back from a chrome cap and put it on my painted cap….

volare 1977

Reaction score
Some of the earlier ones were two piece and some that were a bit little later are plastic one piece even though they look real close. I think I have NOS a wood grain one and also a NOS chrome one. Not sure, may have a used painted one but would need to check on that.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Occasionally one will pop up on the bag. I had a heck of a time finding an NOS painted cap a couple years back. Worth it though, looks WAY better than the chrome one the car had since I bought it 35 years ago.

Mikesteer

Reaction score
I could has sworn that the original one was all metal with a metal handle but it was a very long time ago that I lost it and the dealer parts replacement was the chrome one but I am thinking that the all plastic one is the route that I will be going, just gotta find one now for a reasonable price.

volare 1977

Reaction score
I don`t remember the f body mopar replacement gas cap being available in anything but chrome or wood grain. I may be wrong but I don`t think they offered a primered or painted cap that I remember. I will check tomorrow to see what I have in a painted cap.

Mikesteer

Reaction score
I looked in my parts book and only numbers in the book is for chrome or woodgrain however the factory cap was either metal painted or plastic painted but all were painted or woodgrain for a wagon

volare 1977

Reaction score
yeah, originals were painted for sure or wood grain for the woody wagon. Except for the super coupe cap which was black.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
My Caravelle one was painted. I don't know if it was one piece or two.

They probably only offered chrome or woodgrain as a replacement because that avoided keeping multiple options available and chrome looked better then someone running around with a primered gas cap they didn't bother painting.

Yellowdart

Reaction score
My 78 LeBaron, needed a new cap. when it was a couple years old. Only chrome was available, from dealer. I was able to find a used metal one, and painted it. That was probably 1980, or 81.

volare 1977

Reaction score
Yeah, I think the burgundy one looked to be in better shape. Glad you got one. I know I probably have one but finding it may have been another story. LOL

531SuperCoupe

Reaction score
Seek out Jerry Hammond on Facebook. He is making the Super Coupe caps if it's similiar.

Screenshot_20220330-120137_Facebook.jpg

finaltouch

Reaction score
So I am needing to replace the gas cap on my Volare KC and wondering what is out there as I will need to paint it, most available are chrome caps but that is not what is supposed to be on there and I am coming up empty on ebay for paintable caps, any ideas?
I'm making them for SC $175 shipped. Text 2604456520

20220315_074521.jpg

Back