Part 1 Wet sanding Part 2 Polishing

slant6billy

Reaction score
Wet sanded again and then compounded and then POLISH. First polish is done. I can see a reflection
100_3778.JPG
100_3779.JPG
100_3780.JPG
100_3781.JPG

slant6billy

Reaction score
Well I could watching the Eagles...... I thin not

slant6billy

Reaction score
Very Nice. What brand and types of paint did you use?
Dupli-color. 3 quarts of sealer primer, 3 quarts of etching primer, 3qts black base (metal carbon), copper mid coat, 11 quarts of Candy orange, 13 quarts of clear. Sounds overboard , it is. I'm not a painter. I used that much to redo my screw ups as I went along.

slant6billy

Reaction score
Dupli-color is meant for DIY weekend warriors and limited skills like me.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Heh-heh,,,,,,,,,,he looks like Popeye now!
Saw the post about the amount of paint used. I think we all use WAY more than a pro would. I painted my doors twice and fenders 3 times before I got them right. Nothing like wet sanding a couple hundred bucks or more of paint (and reducer, hardener, activator, etc) back down to the primer, onto the floor is there? lol. I can laugh about it now!

slant6billy

Reaction score
100_3742.JPG
100_3743.JPG

The wetsanding didn't kill my arms. That Milwaukee buffer did. After a few panels I couldn't keep it from walking out of my hands. I had it on 2 to 3, but on open areas with no edge I put it to 4 and that sombich wanted to take off. Just put another wax coat on last night. Tried a Barret Jackson wax. Less white streaks and swirls. Still had to go back with the Ebony shine where I have light haze. I think if I had the paint gun I have now, the quantity would had been more conservative. The Harbor Freight gun was a fight for consistency.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Main thing is it turned out good in the end. I've got one of those Milwaukee variable speed grinder/buffers (darn similar to yours)and they definitely didn't cheap out on materials to save weight!
Better guns help but not always. I mentioned painting the doors twice and fenders 3 times. That's using an Iwata HVLP (about opposite of a Harbor Freight and priced to stay that way, lol).
What I've found that works excellent, although it's not exactly arm saving either, is Griot's Garage Best of Show Wax. No haze, no streaks, no swirls. It is a labor intensive product to use but the results are worth it (JMO).

slant6billy

Reaction score
Not the best shot as the sun had dropped already. I'll give Griot's as try. I figure I've plugged Duplicolor, 3M, Turtle wax, Maguires, Mothers and so I will keep plugging them all
100_3878.JPG

Back