Plasto-Mobiles Are Finally Taking Out Their Own Kind

Darth-Car

Reaction score
When I saw this this morning I laughed out loud for over a minute.

San Francisco has had its first self-driving car accident

Martyn Williams
IDG News Service
  • Jan 21, 2016 4:52 AM
San Francisco saw its first traffic accident involving an autonomous car earlier this month.

It occurred on the afternoon of Jan. 8 when a Nissan Leaf autonomous vehicle operated by Cruise Automation hit a parked Toyota Prius.

The car was in manual control mode at the time, but an account of the incident says it started when the automation computer steered the car incorrectly.

“The vehicle began moving in its lane to the left, then began correcting to the right at which point the drive decided the take over manual control,” the company said in a report to the California Department of Motor Vehicles.

“After taking over manual control, the operator did not change the path of the vehicle and it collided with an unoccupied Toyota Prius.”

The report doesn’t say how much time the driver had to correct the car’s course before the collision but Kyle Vogt, CEO of Cruise Automation, told IDG News Service the driver was alerted several seconds before the crash.

“There was enough time,” he said. “He took over manual control but unfortunately made a mistake.”

There were no injuries, but both cars suffered minor damage in the accident, which happened on 7th Street just ahead of the intersection with Bryant Street in San Francisco’s South of Market district.

Cruise Automation is developing an after-market highway autopilot system called the RP-1. The $10,000 device works with 2012 and newer Audi A4 and S4 models. The company says it has already presold its initial production run of 250 of the units.

Units were supposed to be delivered in late 2015, but it’s unclear if this happened. The company’s website still refers to them as yet to be delivered and Vogt declined to comment on whether they had been shipped.

The California DMV requires reports on any accidents on public roads that involve cars in tests of autonomous driving. A handful have been reported since October 2014, the majority involving Google in Mountain View. That’s not a surprise, as Google has the largest autonomous fleet and the most aggressive testing schedule.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
If only we could designate roadways to these robot cars and the idiots who actually want one. It would keep them away from the rest of us who can actually drive.

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
Stratford Ontario is going to be a test bed for self driving cars.
Go there and fark with them.
I think the Google cars tracking beams are more suited for jelly beans v/s iron.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Stratford Ontario is going to be a test bed for self driving cars.
Go there and fark with them.
I think the Google cars tracking beams are more suited for jelly beans v/s iron.

I'd think they partially run on the cars built in gps??? Pulling a Fifth in it's way would probably really screw it up.

Aspen500

Reaction score
A car you just sit in and don't have to drive. Hmmmmmm, aren't those called taxi's?
Seriously, auto driving cars scare me. Let's at least hope the software isn't written by Microsoft. If so, it'll just lock up for no apparent reason or "perform an illegal action and shut down" at random intervals.
Auto driving cars, what's the point? Just because we can do a thing, doesn't mean we should.

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
The self driving is already here with auto park, collision avoidance, automatic braking, full Wi-Fi, ect.
And like the 'stalling' factor discussed, people have lost the art of driving.

What's even sadder, with automatic transmissions, power steering and brakes, the auto industry made driving real easy.
I'd like to see them try to drive a Model T, and I'll give them a starter motor too so they can skip the crank.

I drove a Model T, and it's mind boggling.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
The self driving is already here with auto park, collision avoidance, automatic braking, full Wi-Fi, ect.
And like the 'stalling' factor discussed, people have lost the art of driving.

What's even sadder, with automatic transmissions, power steering and brakes, the auto industry made driving real easy.
I'd like to see them try to drive a Model T, and I'll give them a starter motor too so they can skip the crank.

I drove a Model T, and it's mind boggling.

I absolutely love driving old three on the tree manual everything cars. I highly doubt any of "today's" drivers would even get one to move.

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
I absolutely love driving old three on the tree manual everything cars. I highly doubt any of "today's" drivers would even get one to move.
Every automaker made a manual 'standard', but very few do today.
Even driving schools have dropped manual training.
Then I always hear about car jackings, but couldn't figure out manual.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Every automaker made a manual 'standard', but very few do today.
Even driving schools have dropped manual training.
Then I always hear about car jackings, but couldn't figure out manual.

I'd love to see somebody these days try to jack an old 40's/50's ride. That would be a youtube video that goes viral. File under comedy.

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
The concept is nothing new
autonomous-vehicles.jpg

Back