Power antenna info

SharkHead

Reaction score
Can someone inform me how to hook up the power antenna from a 89 Fifth Avenue on the bench to test it, I have three power wires two in one plug and one single. I assume the single one is the ground and the other two are to reverse polarity, but I'm not sure.

Aspen500

Reaction score
I looked it up on ShopKey (our online service manuals, tsbs, etc), found the diagram during lunch, printed it out and,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,left it on my toolbox. I'll try to remember it tomorrow if you still need it.

I do remember the brown wire was powered for down and the yellow was powered for up. The relay unit switches power/ground on those two wires. The 3rd wire (blue?) went from the antenna to the radio. It appeared the wires on the antenna harness were different colors than the wires in the vehicle harness.

SharkHead

Reaction score
I looked it up on ShopKey (our online service manuals, tsbs, etc), found the diagram during lunch, printed it out and,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,left it on my toolbox. I'll try to remember it tomorrow if you still need it.

I do remember the brown wire was powered for down and the yellow was powered for up. The relay unit switches power/ground on those two wires. The 3rd wire (blue?) went from the antenna to the radio. It appeared the wires on the antenna harness were different colors than the wires in the vehicle harness.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Disregard what I remebered yesterday, it's incorrect.
I've got the printout in my truck so I CAN'T forget it this time.:eek:

Aspen500

Reaction score
Here is the diagram. No way to scan so it's a photo of the printout.
1987 was as close as I could get to '89. For whatever reason, '88 and '89 model years didn't include any wire diagrams. When you get earlier than the late '90's, info gets sketchy on ShopKeyPro. Hopefully '89 is the same and you are able to read it due to the size.
DSC00392.JPG

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
This from my ’86 FSM (Factory Service Manual) for cars with power amplifier (which my Fifth Ave has). The wiring might be slightly different but mostly the same (if not exactly the same) as yours.

The Cigar Lighter power feed is the 12v power source (on 100% of the time).
BudW

Attachments

• 86 FSM pg 8-228.pdf
    186.7 KB · Views: 270
Back