Question regarding Thermoquad Model Identification and Mopar Iintake Manifold

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Hi,

I was fortunate enough to buy a factory Mopar small block/LA 4 barrel intake and Thermoquad carburator from a local Kijiji seller. I would like to know how I can identify the model of the Thermoquad.The only number I have seen that might be a model number is 2024, located at the top of the air horn/top plate. From what I have been able to find on the Internet, this isn't a valid model number. The model numbers I have been able to find start at 6XXX and go to 98XX, so I figure that I am probably looking in the wrong place. I'm trying to figure out if the carb is worth trying to repair/rebuild, or not. The choke plate appears to be seized, ant its rusty in a lot of places. I would like to stay with a Thermoquad carbutretor if possible, either this one or another. The intake is for a spreadbore carburetor, and I personally believe that the Thermoquad is really good design, working well even though it is way oversized 9800/850 CFM) for small blocks, it works well.

The manifold is cast iron, and is also really dirty. I would like to clean it up externally (and internally to the extent possible). just spraying some Gunk on it shows some blue oaint. I am taking that this is the same Chrysler engine blue as the blocks are painted with. I would like to clean it up to the extent possible externally. Would it be best to use Gunk (or other engine cleaner) repeatedly, or try to go to something like sand/media blacsting? The plenum underneath the carburetor is a sort of brownish/orange color, which I will assume is dried gasoline residue. What is the best to clean that off?

Kostas

My imp

Reaction score
A couple of places to look are the passenger side front of the base plate, or, drivers side rear of the base plate. The #'s will be stamped on the verticle surfaces near the mounting holes. Hope this helps.

Back