Radiator

picklesgarage

Reaction score
If I'm in the wrong spot sorry I'll move it to the right area if someone lets me know
Any, what is everyone running for radiators? Just the rockauto/aftermarket ones? Is there a better performing one that fits?

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
First, there are two different versions of radiators for our cars.
The 26” wide version (used on FMJ's with A/C, trailer towing, police or taxi) and the narrow version (which can be 18”, 19”, 20”, 21” or 22” wide, depending on the year) on FMJ's that don’t fit the above description.

My ’77 Volare wagon 318 (no A/C) has an 18” wide radiator.
20170829_130237 r.jpg

All the factory FMJ radiators are made of brass. Brass is not as good of a conductor of heat as copper or aluminum. Copper is too soft a metal for radiators, so not used. If you don’t have other issues (ie: blown head gasket, rust/crud in cooling system, stuck thermostat, etc.) the brass unit works fine.

I might have purchased the very last all-brass (Modine) 26” radiator for my ’86 Fifth Ave, a few years back. The ones they have now for our cars are aluminum with plastic tanks. They work ok but look odd for our cars.
318 Radiator Aluminum.jpg

This is an 26" plastic/aluminum radiator, which most likely came from China.

I have an opinion that plastic has no place in an automotive cooling system because of warpage and melting, but the industry has gone that way. I’m surprised they are not making engine blocks out of plastic now days (OK, rant over).

Personally, I recommend taking your original radiator to a radiator repair shop to get repaired.
In most cases they can fix your existing radiator for less money than you can get a cheap Chinese unit for. Also, most the cheap Chinese radiators need some work to fit correctly and they have poor quality control (if they have such a thing as quality control …).

Note: if you currently have a narrow radiator (ie: not the 26” wide version), it is a bit of work to upgrade to the 26” version. The two metal pates on both sides of the radiator core support are made differently between the wide and narrow versions. It takes a bit of cutting/welding to change the plates out.

Another method is to bolt the wider radiator in using new holes (that you make).
If you do this, you have the option of getting out a saw and cutting the core support plates for the increased air flow OR leave the wider radiator with the smaller air entrance hole (ie: not all radiator cores will get any airflow).

This fellow forum member converted his narrow radiator brackets with no cutting (on the car). He made plates to fit the wider radiator - but he also has a few core tubes that don't get any (or much) airflow. The original plates are circled (below).
Core Brackets.jpg

If you already have the 26” wide radiator, then the above steps don’t apply.

Hopefully this helps.
BudW

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
You might want to make note of what vehicle you have (I found it, but it took a bit of digging.

I then went to RockAuto.com and they only show two radiators in stock (both are 26"). Most Fifth Ave's come with A/C so I think you have a good chance of having the 26" version.
The cheaper one has a picture that appears to be brass but the “info button” says it is plastic/aluminum.
8010500.jpg

(the picture will not be what you get).

The more expensive version is also plastic/aluminum:
Spectra CU500.jpg

The top/bottom tanks are plastic. The core (light colored part) is aluminum. The black side straps will either be metal or aluminum (painted). The bottom picture is made to fit many cars

BudW

picklesgarage

Reaction score
BudS sorry didn't even think to post for what car. 86 5th Ave with a.c.. ya I saw the one on rock and it just looks cheap. Glad to know about the size difference and what the measurement was for. Ill see if there are any places that do repairs/rebuilds but seems those are getting fewer and further between. I have had very mixed results with plastic tanks on cars that didn't come that way.

Magnum Aspen

Reaction score
My Aspen has a Be Cool brand aluminium cross flow radiator. It was installed by the previous owner for the silly crate engine he installed. It does work quite well, but it is not a direct replacement.
Some checking on summit racing no longer shows that radiator listed for that application, but a universal fit one could be an option.
Summit racing does list a direct fit aluminum radiator made by Griffin, which according to Griffin fits both Aspens and 5th avenues. It appears to be an all aluminum radiator. It is offered in two sizes. It is however rather expensive.

XfbodyX

Reaction score
I posted this in the other rad post, this 2 1 inch core direct bolt in all al, has worked great in a car with a 4:56 rear gear. $130 to me. I also us a crossflow in another car with the same great results at a far greater cost overall.

I painted the top satin and the side and lightly misted the core.

DSC00044.JPG

picklesgarage

Reaction score
surprisingly i found two shops that are just over an hour away that im going to check with for price with first. one of the local auto places said they could get one within a day. im not in a super hurry since right now its not my daily. id like to take care of it soon before it gets too cold to work out in my garage since come spring the plan is to daily it

volare 77

Reaction score
Most radiator shop don`t do the business they did some years ago. The recore cost twice as much as a new radiator sometimes.

volare 77

Reaction score
Sounds about right. I had one done quite while ago and it was $300 then. It was a 19 incher i believe

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Its been a while sense I’ve had one done.
Wow, $300 and $360 for a recore. I’m out of words.
BudW

Aspen500

Reaction score
I think that's more or less what the radiator shop here (Glen-Ray Radiators) charges for a copper/brass recore now days. They built mine back in the '90's (26" F-body tanks/sides with a 3 row core). Back then it was $200 and they supplied the tanks and side brackets. Best part about them is, they are VERY Mopar friendly.:cool: Worst part is, the shop is in a part of the city that I don't feel real comfortable in anymore. Same location since the '40's, city changed around them unfortunately but I digress...............Only place I know of in the area who can bubble crimp R134a A/C lines and silver solder fittings also.
All the other rad shops around here closed years and years ago because they couldn't justify the cost to comply with the ever increasing regulations, and doesn't that sound familiar.

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Bud, Im the only person thats been in my shop in over 7-8 years with the exception of a big spider or scorpion from time to time, wifes not allowed or desires to go there, so If I gently set things here or there I dont worry too much. Its rare I drive them and some say I use cotton balls to wash them, but really soft warm declawed kittens do a better job, not!.

A500 I dont feel comfortable in the nearest town of 3000. I like my indoor cars, my wombat and like my 10 outdoor guard cats. Keeps the big owls away.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
really soft warm declawed kittens do a better job . . .
hehe.

I don’t think my wife has been inside of either of my garages in the twenty years we've lived there. My kids do, until I ask them to help with _ . . . and they vanish.

MBDale

Reaction score
I’ve got a 22 inch Champion Aluminum rad for an A Body in my 1979 Aspen RT, I forget the part number.

Would anyone have the part number for the fan shroud?

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
The part number for shroud for 26” wide radiator is 3869812.
Part numbers for 21/22” wide radiators: 3869837, 4016607, 4140001 or 4140318.
For 18/19” radiator: 3869836.
BudW

M_Body_Coupe

Reaction score
Sorry, a bit late to the topic, but the pic BudW posted was mine as I documented the re-do of the coupe and in particular the move to the wider rad given that the car was originally a /6 setup.

Anyways, for what it is worth I actually went with the following setup:
43-3959 Radiator, ReadyRad (Proliance), $129.99 USD

Now that was a few years ago (yikes, my build spreadsheet says 2006...LOL), and the rad was purchased at the local AutoZone.

As I went looking for the up-to-date info on that part I actually found the prior forum post on this very topic => slant 6 to v8

Alright, looks like you have found something already, aluminum will xfer the heat faster, so should be a better performing rad.

picklesgarage

Reaction score
M_Body_Coupe: its amazing how quick it goes by. i still find it hard to believe that i've owned my shelby charger that long and that my oldest daughter wants it for her first car and that will only be another year. i need to get my 5th ave done so i can have the space to tear into it and rebuild it before she gets driving

Back