Reilly Motor Sports offerings for our cars

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
Reilly Motor Sports offers a complete coil over front end and k member for our cars...lots of dough...but I know of two people that have installed them and love them...

product_image.php

AlterKtion Coil-Over System, Street/Handling, 76-89 F,J,M-body
image.php
Our complete suspension systems do more than save weight and add clearance. They're designed with precise geometry for optimum control, whether you're on the road course,
cruising along winding country roads, or driving along pothole-covered city streets.
Durability is second to none with these systems, and they've been tested tough for years
in everything from daily drivers, road courses, and 7-second dedicated strip cars.
Easy to install and work with, the Alterktion system bolts up to factory frame rails, and as such, is
accepted in many classes where other suspension kits are not.
Brake kits are widely available, so if you don't want to use the Wilwood kits we carry, you
can easily choose your own brake kit from any manufacturer.

System comes complete from connection to your steering column, down to the spindles
and includes complete 1-1/16" sway bar package, custom valved power steering rack, and hoses
that will connect to your factory power steering pump.
Engine mount options include complete mounts to block, all are poly bushed spool-type mounts.
Simply add a brake kit to build a complete suspension system.
For more detailed information and photos, see the Tech Pages, and Gallery sections.
Pictured with optional Hemi engine mounts Details
spacer.gif
Weight132.00 lbs Price:$4,295.00

bill55az

Reaction score
P.S. it also gets rid of those :icon_fU: rubber pucks also
ever try to play hockey with a steel puck?:icon_basketball:

just as soon as I get rich, I'm gonna get me one of these front suspensions.....

for now, poly pucks and pads will be installed front and back, bigger sway bar up front, bigger brakes up front. That is all the /6 Diplomat Coupe needs.

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
ever try to play hockey with a steel puck?:icon_basketball:

just as soon as I get rich, I'm gonna get me one of these front suspensions.....

for now, poly pucks and pads will be installed front and back, bigger sway bar up front, bigger brakes up front. That is all the /6 Diplomat Coupe needs.
Bill this suspension is for your dream car....wait until you get it...:angel4:

ramenth

Reaction score
One of these will wind up under Penny. Still working on Bill to give us a Street Lynx offering.

joeblo

Reaction score
I wish I had gottin one just for the weight savings. Maybe next time.

slant6billy

Reaction score
OK, I found this post again. Just saw the show on Speed throw one under a 72 duster and now curious if it the same unit for A bodys and F bodys? I'm not so dissatisfied with the T bar suspension in the F body, but would really like to drive an F body with this new set up and compare. If the turn radius is smaller with the rack, I could see an advantage. If you ever tried to parallel park an F, M or J, you realize a Kenworth parks easier.

Ollywood

Reaction score
Lovin the round tube control arms. Too bad the K frame didnt match. Not a fan of square tube K frames. Lil on the pricey side I think

ramenth

Reaction score
No one, now. I don't see the AlterK offered for the F/M/J platform listed on Reilly's site anymore. Doesn't mean he won't build 'em if you ask, but expect to pay a lot more for it.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Rick Ehrenberg wrote an article expressing some serious reservations about the Alterkation front end in an article in Mopar Action. Reilly Motorsports wrote Mopar Action saying that Ehrenberg was wrong, and Ehrenberg wrote a response that went into great detail about what his reservations were. It essentially has to do with the reliability of the system when subjected to repeated impacts (I.e. in a street driven car situation). He said that the system did offer good geometry improvement, and would be fine on relatively smooth race track situations.

Kostas

kkritsilas

Reaction score
It does offer some significant geometry improvements, and clearances care also improved. However, in street driven situations, where the road surface can (and most often do) have pot holes, dips, and other sharp edges defects, Rick Ehrenberg did raise significant reservations regarding the ability if the Alteration system to stand up to the impacts long term. It is a question of the design, not materials or quality. Just posting what I read.

Kostas.

P.S. not sure if it is spelled Ehrenberg or Ehrenburg.

Last edited:

kkritsilas

Reaction score
At least according to Rick Ehrenberg. He was pretty specific regarding what he perceived as flaws. His response to letter sent by Reilly Motorsports was lengthy. And both specific and detailed.

Kostas

Joe12459

Reaction score
I know this is an old post, but I just wanted to share my experience with AlterKtion so far. It's been approximately 4000 miles since I installed this suspension in my 5.7 Hemi Mirada, and I love it. I know 4000 miles isn't a whole lot, but I promise, I beat the f*** out of it, and so far it has held up well. It handles like a modern sports car, stops on a dime, and doesn't seem to mind the way I drive. I know there are a lot of theoretical issues with this system, but in the real world, it seems to be holding up well. I'll revisit this again after a few thousand more miles.

ramenth

Reaction score
So basically the design has some costly flaw that they never caught when it comes to daily driving.

Ehrenberg's biggest complaint was the heim joints used. Since it's not a tapered joint with a castle nut, but, rather a pass through bolt that truly was his biggest complaint.

I get where Ehrenberg was coming with this, but as many have pointed out, there are literally thousands, if not millions of real world mileage, not just with this system, but in hot rod suspension where the heim joint has yet to fail. Reilly's customers have yet to report a failure. Most of Ehrenberg's argument was on theoretical, "what if" scenarios.

Ehrenberg was gotten it wrong before. Remember his constant drum beat of F/M/J's spindles under A-bodies. A fellow engineer on Moparts took this step by step and showed where Ehrenberg is wrong. Again, there's many thousands, if not millions of real world driving of guys doing this conversion that would prove Ehrenberg wrong, but instead of looking at the real world proof, let's keep running on the theoretical.
--- Post updated ---
I know this is an old post, but I just wanted to share my experience with AlterKtion so far. It's been approximately 4000 miles since I installed this suspension in my 5.7 Hemi Mirada, and I love it. I know 4000 miles isn't a whole lot, but I promise, I beat the f*** out of it, and so far it has held up well. It handles like a modern sports car, stops on a dime, and doesn't seem to mind the way I drive. I know there are a lot of theoretical issues with this system, but in the real world, it seems to be holding up well. I'll revisit this again after a few thousand more miles.

You're not the only one to defend this system in such a manner.

I hate to beat a dead horse, but this is what real world experience has over what you read on the internet or read from a book or magazine. Nothing, but nothing can replace actually getting your own hands dirty and actually testing, beating, flogging, and torturing it until it fails or doesn't.

Back