removal of unneeded vacuum lines, egr,aspirator, etc??

barbee6043

Reaction score
79 volare super 225 slant.... I want to remove un needed vac. lines, egr, vacuum amps, and associated stuff... clean it p and still function like all my "older" mopars. all this does not work in my air cleaner anyway, SE Tx rarely cold anyway.
I assume I can just use block off plate for egr and aspirator???? , this will not affect anything? It has original carb, and chatcial canister which is no problem for me. I like it "simple" !! Thanks

4speedjim

Reaction score
I think to remove the aspirator/air pump creates more problems than it solves. I looked at removing mine and blocking off the head, but it would create issues with the belts, accessories, cat and a/c brackets. Besides that, It feeds O2 to the cat so it can burn off the Funk and keep the cat biscuit open, clean and whole so it flows. My /6 isn't long for the world, so I decided not to put the money and effort into stripping all that out of it. Im just going to live with it as is till I get my v8 screwed together and dropped in. You might want to keep the vapor canister plumbed also, so you don't fill the garage with explosive gas fumes.

barbee6043

Reaction score
It has no air pump, I did not think they me on slants except Ca>?? AC is gone and no problems with belts. Cat is a hollow shell and will not getreplaced. Tx has no smog sniffers. If they did I would move! ha
I have FSM but I am not clear on exactly what that aspirator does, if mine even works! I can easily make a block off for it and the EGR..... I just don't want to cause any carb issues..... thanks

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
The Aspirator and A.I.R. pump system works on same principle but the Aspirator is non-pressurized.

Depending on year made, some cars, like my ’77 318 wagon, has an Aspirator only.

My ’86 5th Ave uses (or did use) an A.I.R. pump with a switching valve (diverter valve) that directed pressurized air to exhaust ports under warm up, then re-directs air down to catalytic converter after engine is warm/hot.
Some of the in-between years used both (an Aspirator going to exhaust ports and A.I.R. pump to push air down to catalytic converter).

If you live in an emissions state (California is one example) – ALL EMISSIONS ITEMS/COMPONETS MUST BE IN PLACE and FUNCTIONING!
If you live in an "emissions visual" state (or city, or county) – ALL EMISSIONS ITEMS/COMPONETS MUST BE IN PLACE, but not necessarily functioning.
Some areas, like Oklahoma, we have no (current) emission laws to obey.

Now with that said, I DO NOT RECOMMEND disconnecting any functioning emission components.
Inoperable emission systems or components – I don’t see a problem with (again if your state, city or county allows for it).

Some exceptions:
I highly recommend using an operating PCV valve system. That includes allowing for outside air to get back into crankcase, like a breather. This system does a lot more good for the engine than being emissions friendly. Matter of fact, if building an engine for a pre-PVC system/vehicle (say a '56 Plymouth), I would find a way to adapt this to the vehicle.
I also recommend using the heated choke, heated air (if live in a state that gets below freezing at times) and outside air (which also helps with fuel mileage).
Other systems can go either way.

The different Emission systems used on most FMJ vehicles are:
PVC system (PVC valve and crankcase air).
Catalytic converter(s)
Aspirator system
A.I.R. (Air Injection Reaction – but other words do apply, sometimes) system
EGR valve
EGR “maintaince due”, system (for some years)
Evaporation control (Fuel vapor containment (charcoal canister, fuel tank vent and carburetor vent)).
Ignition control system (Lean Burn, Electronic Spark Control, or various other names for the computer controlled ignition system).
Electronic fuel control (computer controlled (feedback) carburetor)
Electric Assist Choke System
Heated inlet Air System (for cold weather drivability)
Outside air usage (the large black duct going to fender and to area below and behind front bumper).
There might be other items that I can’t remember at this moment.

I do have good news for you – but ran out of time to tell you. Will write more in a moment, about what to do (or not to do).
BudW

Last edited:

barbee6043

Reaction score
Thanks BudW.
Most of my "extra" stuff is non functioning and Tx does dot bother with this "Stuff". But yes I have always maintained the PCV, I have found over the years, that the electric assisted manifold choke mechinism to be of bad design but I still try to keep that on if functions, ALL the stuff in the breather that would help cold starts, drivability is not working, and S Tx does not get cold, so it all went away too. I always do maintain the charcoal cannister and lines for it. My cat is a hollow shell and it will remain there in that form unless I go to the correct size exhaust for the super six, 2 1/4 in . MY EGR does not function and it could be replaced pretty cheap, But....and the duct from fender well to breather, it needs replaced and havn't seen a source for a new (or good one.)
I have never had a car with the Lean Burn, I have never heard much good about it, but have read it worked well WHWN it was working. So I did not have to consider it as it was not on my car.
I got rid of not working vacumm amp and etc and ran that small line to carb off the vacumn tee.
Biggest thing I wonder is if carb will function like it should with these changes I figure this (original six bbd) has some different things about it internally ?
I have owned many Mopes since mid 80's but most were from '62 to 71 with a half dozen from 72 to 76, this 79 is my "newest" ! ha
Thanks for the info,

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I didn’t get to work yesterday and the room with my computer in it, at home, is way too cold to spend much time in – so I didn’t get back to you.

They make an official exhaust manifold plug (V-8’s) or cylinder head plug (/6), but basically all three engine types (/6, small block and big block) use the same two designs.

To recap, the Aspirator and/or A.I.R. pump allows fresh air to reach a point not far behind the exhaust valve. The reason is: you have the heat and what little unburnt fuel – but lacking oxygen to complete combustion of the (what little) unburnt fuel is remaining.

Some people say this system reduces engine power because it pulls fuel from combustion chamber.
I don't quite see it that way, but will say the power output of engines with Aspirator/A.I.R. system typically is a little less than engines without same systems. People still debate this and have been for 40-50 years now.
My opinion is if system works, keep using it. If not working, then look at the options.

The /6 head was redesigned to allow for this system. A hole (a little less than 1” wide) is drilled almost length wise in the head. Then small holes are drilled into each exhaust port (about ¼“, each). The Aspirator (or A.I.R.) pipe bolts to rear of cylinder head. The same cylinder head was used for all /6 engines made, even for export (ie: with or without Aspirator or A.I.R. pump).
On the cases without, the OEM plate/plug bolted to that port - looks like this:
A.I.R. cap.jpg

New 318 engine, rear A.jpg

/6 is at rear of head at same level as manifolds (if equipped).

There is an alternatives one can use – which I’ll get to later.

To bypass that system OR to use a newer /6 in an older car (say a ’66 A-body), a person will need to block that port.

On small blocks. From (I think) ’74, until replaced by the Magnums, the system is different.
First the cylinder heads have a taller exhaust manifold flange. Below the exhaust port, there is a ¼“ hole drilled at an angle onto the exhaust port (on cylinder head).
318 AIR port 1.jpg

360 AIR port 3.jpg

The one bottom picture, I suspect the A.I.R. ports have been plugged and painted over.

On the exhaust manifold, there is a channel cast into it with ports on both ends. The front side of the manifolds have a pipe plug screwed into it (which I do not have its measurements with me at the moment).
The back side of both have a similar flange but no pipe plug. This one will have a bolt hole on top. Either the Aspirator tube or A.I.R. tube/pipe bolts to (like the plug picture, above).

The problem with small blocks is if you install an older engine into a newer car, the Aspirator/A.I.R. pipe is not doing anything and can thereby be removed.

If you install a newer engine into an older car OR install headers onto a ’74 (or whatever year it might be) up engine – those ¼” drilled holes will need to be plugged.
A person can get 8 (or more if you are prong on losing them) ¼” plugs (they will use an Allen wrench to install). Also get a ¼” tap for the pipe plugs. I might be wrong, but I think the pipe threads are different than what normal ¼” bolts use. Just make sure the plugs are screwed into head enough so they are recessed and will not touch the exhaust manifold (or header).

A person can also use this method on a small block FMJ vehicle and remove the Aspirator/A.I.R. pipe(s) and can leave the rear exhaust manifold ports unplugged.
However, I think plugging both (or single) rear exhaust manifold port(s) is fastest/least labor involved.

Big blocks are the easiest ones to convert. The cylinder heads are the same – only the exhaust manifolds are different. Just get a pair of older exhaust manifolds and you are done.
Even better, get a pair of late ‘60’s to early ‘70’s HiPo manifolds (or headers) for even more flow.

If plugging the small block manifold (or /6 head port), you have 3 options:
If your old Aspirator pipes are not “too rusty” and yon can make a cap, by cutting the tubing about 1-1/2” or so, out and then crimp off the end (a hammer or a vise does a nice job). I prefer to fold the crimp myself – but one has a few options. If not folded, then you will need to weld (or whatever) the seam - so there are no leaks.
Example:
20171027_185609 r.jpg

20171027_185632 r.jpg

Note: I didn't do this one. I would cut pipe a bit father out, for this short is "too short" to do things.
Note: If pipes are not rusted too badly, there are people looking for these in emission states - so think about others, before cutting!

OR, find a OEM plug/plate (not easy to do), or make your own plate.
I have purchased some metal stock to make some plates as well as gasket material to make gaskets with – but hadn’t done so yet. Also, my garage is WAY TOO COLD to be out in it making some, until spring time.
AIR cap.png

20171027_185403 r.jpg

20171027_185313 r.jpg

The last picture is "make your own header gasket" material

OR, purchase a suitable pipe plug and tap. Tap threads into your existing hole and insert pipe plug.
I have pictures, but can't find them, at the moment.

More thoughts on other systems, in a bit.
BudW

Last edited:

barbee6043

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Yes it is cold all the way down to south Tx!! My aspirator is not working and I would also have to wonder if the holes in the head are not closed up with carbon. I removed it and welded the hole shut. Engine compartment is now so much cleaner and less cluttered.
I dated quite a while before removing all of this as the car is so original, but a slant car non the less. I always make my cars to suit me, and I keep all the parts removed, so if sold the next guy can put it all back!!
If the factory offered a blockoff plate for the aspirator hole I am not first to do so!!!!! Your plate wold be neat!! thanks

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I keep all the parts removed, so if sold the next guy can put it all back!!
Good job.

Some pictures would be nice to include with your “box of parts”. You never know, you might move to California or a potential new owner might, etc.

I have worked with the small blocks a lot more than /6’s, 30/40-some years ago – and don’t remember the /6 system that well.
Small blocks – I know quite well. The above mentioned modification to plugging the ports is not hard to do and can easily be reversed with no ill-effect.
Well, I say that – it is not that easy to do with engine in car. With engine out – it is an easy job.
I was involved with a lot of modifying newer engines to install into older cars, when I was at a dealership.

Been my experience is the small block A.I.R. holes get some powder in them – which will easily push right out with a steel rod after the plugs are removed.

Now the passageway in intake for EGR is a completely different matter.
My best guess is that passageway gets stopped up when engine is driven cold. When an engine is cold, it will use more engine oil. That is also the time (on V-8’s) the intake crossover is being used the most – so I suspect the oil accumulates there because of the cold driving.

Most often, I see that exhaust crossover in intake is completely stopped up with carbon, than not. Also, that baked on carbon is like “cutting diamonds”, to remove (I should say, I’ve never cut a diamond before).
BudW

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I have never been a fan of the EGR system.

For those not familiar with it, this Wikipedia site might explain it better than I can https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exhaust_gas_recirculation .

Back in the ‘70’s I always wondered why factory’s they were trying to remove “Nitrogen Oxide (NOx) emissions“ from the combustion process.
On the other hand, racers “want” to add Nitrous Oxide (N2O), for instant horsepower.
(I’ve figured it out. It is like comparing Carbon Monoxide (CO) to Carbon Dioxide (CO2). Close - but not the same thing).

I will say that on my own personal cars – I have never removed or disabled the EGR valve/system. The odd thing is the EGR valve hoses were disconnected when I purchased my ’86 5th Ave as well as on my ’77 wagon. That said, I’ve not looked into why both were disconnected and not even considered hooking the hose back on, either.

As far as trying to figure out what to remove emissions wise, what I recommend is to find a vacuum diagram on a “pre-EGR” car, like say from a ’70 or ’72 model car.

Then laying it out beside a copy from your car. It helps to take a LOT of scratch paper and slowly start to peel back the different layers of vacuum hoses and to what they connect to – to get back to what vacuum diagram you did find, shows.
Then remove the rest of the parts the hoses connected to.

I found these in my ’77 FSM (Factory Service Manual) not knowing what year vehicle you have. If you don’t have a FSM for your car, take a look at the decal on your car, take a picture of it, blow it up bigger and use it. If you don’t have a legible decal, make a new post asking someone else with same year and engine to take a picture of their vacuum hose decal.
77 FSM pg 25-21.JPG

77 FSM pg 25-22a.JPG

77 FSM pg 25-22b.JPG

77 FSM pg 25-23a.JPG

When you get done, you should have:
A short hose coming from base of carburetor to choke pulloff (on side of carburetor).
A hose going from carburetor to distributer, for vacuum advance.
A large hose from carburetor to PCV valve.
A large hose from vacuum tree to brake booster (if you have power brakes).
A hose from vacuum tree going inside of car for AC/heater controls.
A hose from firewall going to your hot water valve (coming from A/C, if you have A/C, that is).
Two hoses (large and small) going between the carburetor and charcoal canister.
A large hose going between crankcase breather to air cleaner.
A hose going to air cleaner, for cold temperature/hot air flap control (which you might not need in South TX).
BudW

barbee6043

Reaction score
working choking choke pull off and manfold thermostat is all I ever wanted in cold weather. Yeo S Tx not that cold. I lived 40 years in Missouri!!!

Back