Rookie water pump question

Kramer79

Reaction score
F074BCDE-433D-4F2A-8F5B-2D302B79B9C5.jpeg
24510B58-A083-4BDE-A8A0-25E8944F1E35.jpeg
Happy 2021!

81 slant 6 question

In the upper left of the water pump when removing I noticed an oily glob, and even when that bolt came out it looked like it had some oil on it. Is that in anyway normal when swapping water pumps? Car has not run in 15-20 years so maybe just something settled where it normally would not? At least the fluid has been green...

Aspen500

Reaction score
It's just oil that seeped in over the years from the obviously leaking valve cover and timing cover gaskets. Probably seeped into the pump cavity as the engine sat for the past 20 years and sat at the top of the coolant level (which looks to be about 1/2 way up the pump cavity) If it had been in there when the engine was still running, the coolant would also have oil in it and would most likely look like chocolate milk. At least from what I can see in the photo's, it's nothing to worry about:cool:

That said, it'd be a good idea to check the rest of the cooling passages for evidence of oil, just to be sure there's not a crack somewhere. Chances of that are very slim and normally the leak goes the other way, pressurized coolant into the oil, not vice versa.

Last edited:

LSM360

Reaction score
I also believe you are okay, with a good flush and new water pump and gaskets. Remember distilled water with your coolant mix.

Justwondering

Reaction score
Kramer79 ...
I have a story that is not relevant in any way ... but I had to chuckle when I read the comment about oil and coolant.

Had a Datsun I drove in College as an undergraduate. Manual shift, bright yellow, ran like a top got great gas mileage.
Got great gas mileage even after I cracked the head on a 250 mile trip from home back to college after spring break.

My dad had changed the oil for me, didn't tighten the pan bolt, thought I was gonna do it, and I thought he was gonna do it. Neither of us did. Then somewhere in the 250 miles it vibrated loose, fell out and blew all the engine oil out on the highway and started running hot. Limped it in to college and figured out I had a big problem.

Got a new plug and screwed it in, then I put in oil.

I thanked my lucky stars that it leaked oil into the radiator so I never had water in my engine.
But, I had to drain the oil out of the radiator every month.
And put more oil in the engine every month.

Did that for 2 years until I graduated. (no payments on it thank goodness).

Ran fine as long as I regularly drained the oil from the radiator.
JW

Back