rubber rot in the quarter extensions

tim berry

Reaction score
the dreded extention rot has hit my car not too bad yet but i have to do something . what ever the repair ,ultimately I'm going to mold them when the summer is over .(next yrs. project ) whats best fiberglass or the other crap . thanks for any input

tim berry

Reaction score
bondo unless there is another option . my game plan is to mold them with silicone then use casting resin to make the parts if they come out good and it is repeatable I will putting them up for sale by order I've got to see what it cost to do first

Last edited:

NoCar340

Reaction score
I would definitely go with some kind of reinforced material, fiberglass being the best choice... unless you want to throw down some serious money for carbon fiber for maximum durability (assuming you paint it) or minimal weight savings. :icon_biggrin: Plastic filler needs a substrate (usually the panel behind it) since it has very little strength of its own.

Cordoba1

Reaction score
When I had my 81 repainted, the fins were just beginning to rot. They had cracked on the areas that turn and bend toward the bumper. I used fiberglass to cover all of the plastic, a couple coats. After sanding and painting, they looked like new -- and I'm confident they'll hold up for many more years. I started by purchasing the fiberglass repos, but they looked horrible, a waste of money -- unless yours are too far gone and have lots of time to rework them.

MiradaMegacab

Reaction score
81 Mirada

CAM00377.jpg

tim berry

Reaction score
they all eventually end up that way .thanks for the photos now I know what they look like on the inside .

tim berry

Reaction score
looks like I get to start earlier than I wanted ive been doing research on what material the quarter extensions are made out of and cant find anything . I was thinking something similar like the endure bumper material any body know?

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
Dr.lebaron Ive thought about that whats the cost

I've just been sitting back, watching the 3D printer prices go down.
Kinda like the $5000 home computer in the 80's

Now, there is a government funded business start up program that has a 3D printer available to outsiders.
I should find out how big it is.

The main problem with 3D printers is the small ones are getting cheap, but any bigger ones are still big money.

PentaCar

Reaction score
Saw a news story (maybe 3 weeks ago) about a Home Depot in Manhattan that has a 3D printing pilot program . I don't think it will be long before we can walk in to stores like that and have parts made up. Got my fingers crossed.

tim berry

Reaction score
Im in the pro
cese of getting prices on th 3d printing localy took the parts off the right rear and w will be posting pictures as i go the first step is to stabilize them so they can be handeled

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Keep us posted on that....
Man.....wouldn't that be cool if you could just walk in and say I need this....

Back