Selling whole interiors

Alexgalayda

Reaction score
Just the material or the headliner itself? I don't know if I am willing to part it out quite yet... so its just hypothetical now, don't know if you wanna waste your time.
Headliner itself need the board

4speedjim

Reaction score
That sounds like its way above my pay grade. Find a J in a junk yard and pull that? Plenty of Imps in the yards. Maybe lizard skin, trunk fleck paint, undercoat, urethane chip coat the interior roof then paint it. It wont draw you focus up like a missing headliner will. Should insulate and sound deaden too. Then if a form or whatever comes up, install it over, or under the sprayed on cover up.

Alexgalayda

Reaction score
That sounds like its way above my pay grade. Find a J in a junk yard and pull that? Plenty of Imps in the yards. Maybe lizard skin, trunk fleck paint, undercoat, urethane chip coat the interior roof then paint it. It wont draw you focus up like a missing headliner will. Should insulate and sound deaden too. Then if a form or whatever comes up, install it over, or under the sprayed on cover up.
Cant find a junkyard jbod near me u know of any by nj?

4speedjim

Reaction score
Thought I saw a wrecked cool vanilla Imp in the back ground of some J parts on ebay a few days ago. But one in a specific location? No. This one might have been WV or WI. Its hard enough just to find parts online for a J. I'll check my watched list to see if it in the background of something I saved. Id prepare myself for paying shipping and hoping you can even find a usable one. Some upholstery shops can make them. By the time you find one and get it home in -one piece- lol repair it, recover it, install it, you'd be money ahead paying an upholstery shop to make you a new one be done, be proud, show it off. Since theres nothing local to you. In the mean time, or if budget isnt paying well with the car you should try the texture paint. It would be to your benefit in sound, temp, appearance whether you put a head liner in or not.

FredMcJoe

Reaction score
I wonder how close a F or M body headliner fits a J car.

I think the sunroof Imperials had an old-style rod-supported headliner instead of the newer pressboard type. If nothing else panned out, you could find some old headliner support rods of the correct length and have a headliner made up.

4speedjim

Reaction score
Id thought about the F body. It would have to be 76-77 2 door. They were 112 wheel base. I don't think it would fit well thou. The F's are rounder where the J is more straight and angular. Like around the ft rr and door glass. GM uses those rods, you just need them long enough to cut to fit. For me it still sounds like way too much time and effort to re-engineer a headliner that will look like a homemade headliner as it is. And its like anything else, with enough time and money anything is possible. Its not something I would do, but it is possible.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Headliners are extremely difficult to ship – and to arrive undamaged.
BudW

moreada

Reaction score
What Bud said. Just handling my headliner and stripping the old foam was a task and has left the headliner requiring some minor attention to be really good again. It's not something for the faint of heart. This is the primary reason I have decided to forego a restoration and just go balls out with my car and do whatever I want to it. Once those urethane quarters go, she's never gonna be all original again, so I may as well have fun with it.

4speedjim

Reaction score
If you love the car and plan on keeping it. Which I think you do. Id have a headliner made, and any worn or torn interior pieces repaired while they have the car. I've seen the car. Its a nice clean car, its worth putting the money into it. Whether you plan on keeping it or selling it. You'll be happy with it again, and the money wont be important once its done. You'll get that rush back from having pride in your ride. My HL needs recovered to. And I found a couple paint blisters by back glass. I wont get to it the summer. I'll have a shop pull the glass and do paint while the interior done at the same time, maybe this fall. If you haven't done anything and still have the car, we can use my board as a pattern for yours if you want to drive an hour out and still plan on tackling this yourself. But Id start calling around so you can get an idea what it runs and who can do a HL and installed.

FredMcJoe

Reaction score
If you ever need to replace trim pieces with fabric, I found it pretty simple to just peel off the fabric from the foam, keeping the foam glued onto the trim-part. Then I used fabric I got at Wal*Mart (almost identical to factory) and just wrapped it over the old foam. I glued the backside of the fabric and applied some UV fabric spray. Worked great, the A pillar covers look like new. $6 in fabric I think it was.

Gluing new fabric over a concave pressboard would require some 3M Contact Cement sprayed on, and then once more. Contact cement always needs two coats, I think.

4speedjim

Reaction score
Two coats of contact cement on each piece of absorbent material like cloth and foam your joining together. Alex is also missing his card board form. So he is really starting at zero. I suggested he try spraying the roof with trunk fleck paint, lizard skin, chip guard, or rubberized undercoat to texturize the roof, then paint over in satin or flat to match the interior. It would help from drawing your eyes up and it will control heat and noise. Whether he ever gets a HL in or not, he would benefit.

Alexgalayda

Reaction score
If you ever need to replace trim pieces with fabric, I found it pretty simple to just peel off the fabric from the foam, keeping the foam glued onto the trim-part. Then I used fabric I got at Wal*Mart (almost identical to factory) and just wrapped it over the old foam. I glued the backside of the fabric and applied some UV fabric spray. Worked great, the A pillar covers look like new. $6 in fabric I think it was.

Gluing new fabric over a concave pressboard would require some 3M Contact Cement sprayed on, and then once more. Contact cement always needs two coats, I think.
My foam board was broken
Buit thanks

jasperjacko

Reaction score
So a year and a half of talking about this , and still no pics?

moreada

Reaction score
So a year and a half of talking about this , and still no pics?

Pretty well. I never pulled the car nor interior from storage last summer as life got in the way... trying to make money so I can spend it ;) It looks a lot like a Mirada interior if that helps, but I think that's already been ascertained heh.

Sorry for the delays. Talking to buddy who has it in his storage unit this weekend, so there may actually be some development soon... but think of it as a probably not, I don't want to keep anyone hanging. Plus surprises are fun, right?

moreada

Reaction score
Weather has been a bit rough and have been working a bit too much to get some pics snapped but this is high up on the to do list, so I appreciate the patience.

johnnyride

Reaction score
I have a 57,000 1982 LS with a really nice tan vinyl interior if anyone needs one. I bought the car for the nose and hood etc to make my traditional Cordoba into an LS. I also have a red leather interior sitting in my basement, but it came out of my convertible, so the back part of the back seat has been shortened.

Back