Shade Tree auto body

MY3033

Reaction score
The 76 aspen coupe I've talked about on here, much like every F-body, has rust. The critical parts on my coupe are solid. I need to fix my rust hole in my c pillar, do a few patches in the lower quarters, dog leg on my driver fender, tops of both fenders. I have a pretty good plan in place and knowledge of what im going to do for the metal work, as it's a big part of my background.

Now onto the more technical stuff. I've thought about what route to go with the roof of my car and will not replace the vinyl. I'm going to remove the window plug and fix the rust hole. With the hole patched and window re-installed, im going seal the window plug to cover the gap. Haven't determined how im going to seal it and make it look decent, but there is room for trial and error, i can always sand material off.
Next: I would like to remove the side moldings. pretty straight forward. remove moldings, clips and then grind off the studs. At the point it will be time to do some minor dent repairs. Easy stuff.

For sprayable product I am most likely going to spray PPG product, at least for under coatings. I would like to spot prime, but I'm not sure if I can. I don't have any experience with how modern primers react with old single stage finishes from that era. I've resprayed older vehicles, but those were complete jobs. On top of that, time is always against me, so finding time remove all the old finish from the full car is not the best option. However, if i can scuff the old finish and spray a high build over, that would be ideal. The primer i have in mind is PPG JP202 w/ JH302 from their ShopLine, i got to keep somewhat budget minded. I will be using my SATAjet 100 for my under coating work. I told my fiancé, that she gets to help block sand...if you know, you know.

I am torn on what top coat finish to use. I would like to spray the Aspen in its original U3 Carmel Tan, but as a single stage. I don't know if I'll find anyone close to me that will be able to mix it in single. I am not against having to go with a base/clear topcoat, but again this is a cheaper respray on a budget, its not a show car. anyone have recommendations on what color i should spray? i will use my SATA 1500. I've never sprayed single stage with it, so id have to do a practice panel first to see how it does. I have a gun I spray single stage industrial stuff with, but really don't like it much, I'd prefer my 1500. Also looking for any advice on how to find somewhere that's able to fix a code to mix from, it seems there are no color sheets going back that far in my area.

If I end up having to go with a base/clear, i know what product line would be sprayed. Deltron DBC and DC4000 clear. I am a big fam of DC4000, lays good, great longevity, and not busting the bank.

TLDR: can i get away with not stripping the full car to bare steel?

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
If you want to be really cheap, protect the metal, and keep the car a brownish color, paint it with a red oxide and call it a day

Back