Silver Bullet

Silver Bullet

Reaction score
I bought this car about a year and a half ago. It is a '79 Volare with a slant 6/auto/7 1-4 rear end. The car wasn't running when I got it. A distributor problem and fouled plugs were the issue. The A/C works great and drives straight. I removed some side molding and swapped out the standard wheels for some American Racing S200s. I started to freshen up the interior. Thinking about getting new carpet. Need to decide on either Canyon red or black. I did put in a new steering wheel, updated the stereo, swapped out the dash pad and customized the instrumentation bezel.
volare01 - Copy.jpg
volare06.jpg
volare05.jpg
volare07.jpg

--- Post updated ---
Here is the car as it currently sits.
DSCF1984 - Copy.jpg
DSCF1997 - Copy.jpg

--- Post updated ---
One of the fender braces was bent all to hell. Last night while I was replacing them I got a little creative.
DSCF0956.jpg
DSCF0957.jpg

volareandgtcat

Reaction score
That is a beautiful car !! you gotta go with canyon red for the carpet, matching it all .. great choice in wheels and rubber!!

Darth-Car

Reaction score
Very nice car! I have to be biased, if that were a 77, it would be my old car.

Silver Bullet

Reaction score
Going through the brakes now. It developed a REAL bad vibration while braking at high speeds. For now I'll clean up the parts a little, turn the rotors and put new brake hoses on for safety. The old ones were cracked and falling apart.

DSCF0977.JPG

--- Post updated ---
Finished up the brakes today. Took it out for long drive and no more vibration. I painted the rotors before they went in to be turned. The calipers and dust shield were blasted and painted. New bleeder screws, hoses, hardware and bearings repacked.
DSCF0985.jpg

Silver Bullet

Reaction score
I finished the center panel. I painted the perimeter silver, center is graphite and changed the tomato red stripe maroon to match the vinyl top.

13240703_1119011124785742_7040753233972001142_n.jpg

Justwondering

Reaction score
Looks awesome.
So you reused most of the old parts...
What did you blast them with? and is that something that you do outside or in some kind of booth?

I've never used a sandblaster so this is very interesting to me.

Silver Bullet

Reaction score
I try to reuse when possible to reduce costs. I like NOS as much as the next guy but my pocket book says otherwise. I had a blasting cabinet in my garage. I didn't use it enough to justify the amount of floor space it took up. I do have a portable one that I use outside on large pieces (rear axle, K-frame). For smaller parts there is a place not too far from me that rents out cabinet time. The medium material depends on what the part is made of and how much rust or paint is on the part. I use poly (plastic), glass and oxide. The valve covers in my Aspen were painted blue when I got them. I used poly on those to remove the paint. It left the finish smooth. I hand sanded a few areas then polished to a nice shine. On the calipers I used oxide. That really cuts through rust but leaves the finish a little rougher. Plus you have more heat build up with oxide than you do with poly or glass.

Justwondering

Reaction score
Just beautiful work.
I have a long way to go before I get to that level of detail; but, its interesting that you can bring parts back to life with a little time and elbow grease.

I get frustrated by some of the limitations on space, material, and tools that I currently have. But it certainly beats paying 1200 for something that costs you 250 in parts and some labor over the weekend.

Back