Slant 6 oil pan removal advice needed

shadango

Reaction score
We want to drop the oil pan on our 80 volare slant 6.

Wondering how tough it is to do with the engine in the car......we want to at least clean out the bottom of the oil pan....we found some metal squished in our oil pump....would rather not rebuild at this time , but don't want to just thow a new pump on ignoring the fact that there could be more metal in the pan......

We order a pan gasket...but looked at the pan yesterday and aside from the problem of how to raise the engine enough to get to all the bolts, we are not sure it can actually be removed what with the l member and such in the way.....

Any advice would be great my appreciated....thanks all!

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Do you have a cherry picker?
I’m wondering if removing the engine might be better than working underneath the car.

I don’t see where metal would have come from – for I don’t think it can get past the screen on oil pickup.
I also suspect there might be other problems/issues that may want to be looked at, before it going back into car.

If leaving engine in car – suspect you might be able to keep engine in its semi-raised position by inserting a piece of 2x4 into K-frame between right side engine mount stands, blocking the engine mount from re-seating into the K-frame?

shadango

Reaction score
Yeah Dr Lebanon that is my post...for removing the pump....we got that out last night ...actually went really well.

There is metal lodged in the pump body so was considering pulling the pan.

20160810_194154.jpg

Back