Slant 6 To V8 Conversion

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Hi,

What is involved in getting a V8 into a Slant 6 J Body, as I have found a car that is in better shape than my blue Mirada, but it has a 6 cylinder. I know I will need motor mounts, and new hoses/tubes/etc. but do I need a V8 type transmission? How about a new radiator? The 6 cylinder isn't running right now, so it will need an engine of some sort, but I am concerned about all of the other things (alternators, AC compressors, PS pumps, frame clearances, brake booter, steering shaft/assemly, etc.) If the rest of the car doesn't need to have too much work done to it, I would just get the Shumacher S6 to V8 conversion kit, and go from there. If the work is too extensive, I will pass on the car.

Kostas

BHA43

Reaction score
Swap the K members out! Yes V-8 & /6 trans are diff!

slant6billy

Reaction score
2nd on that K member swap. The Schumacher mounts might be what my last car had. Since, it was a slant6 car with a diplomat cop motor slammed into the slant6 kmember. The V8 sat too far to the passenger side. Headers were an issue hitting the passenger framerail. The motor sat higher too. This caused the cooling fan to rub the shroud on the upper passenger side and required a hoodscoop. I had wished the person who did the swap had just grabbed to k member with the V8 donor. Good luck either way.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Thanks for the opinions, and taking the time to let me know. I am now sort of confused. BHA43 and slant6billy are recommending a K frame from a V8 car. This thread:

http://www.forfmjbodiesonly.com/classicmopar/showthread.php?1199-hi-im-new-here-with-my

seems to indicate that the Schumacher conversion engine mounts are a good way to go. Right now, I am sort of stuck; Miradaa/Cordobas are so scarce around here that getting a K member locally is pretty much out of the realm of possibiliy, but I have two member opinions against the conversion engine mounts. I guess the only real options are to hot rod the slant 6, or use the Mirada as a parts car for my blue Mirada (318 V8), even though the black MIrada is in much better shape regarding rust and interior (interior colors do not match).

Kostas

Last edited:

BHA43

Reaction score
I thought thats what you were doing was using the V8 car as a donor for the better body on the /6! But yes a K out of any 5th or Diplomat,Volare, Aspen Etc will work!

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I was under the impression that the K members were specific to a body style (i.e. differeent between an F, M and J bodies). The local junkyard has a 1980 Diplomat, so if it is a 318, I can get the K member, engine, and transmission for the black Mirada. Would the 6 cylinder Mirada (the black one) have a 7 1/4" rear end?

I assume that it would be a good idea to get the radiator and radiator brackets from the Diplomat as well?

Kostas

slant6billy

Reaction score
Yes Sir. That 80 dip has a bunch of "headache relief" for you. If you could work something out with the junkyard establishment, grab as much as you can. Also, even duplicate redundant stuff might seem overkill, but 30 yearold metal has some ghost by now. Brackets get bent, hardware strips out, and stuff just breaks as you put a wrench or screwdriver to it. I'm always one to grab every screw, nut , bolt, etc...... If the yard would let you have the whole car for a while for the duration of the transplant, it would really be a much easier time. Again, the point of my headache relief. Godd luck.

slant6billy

Reaction score
Also, since you mention the 7 1/4 rearend- keep in mind your V8 might be too much for the little diff. So, grab the 8 1/4 and shock plates. U bolts are tough to get off- I prefer cutting them and getting a new set. If the leaf springs are sitting better than your current set..... you know it, grab them too.

Here is one of many info pages for rears and a fun way to deal with the 7 1/4 rear:
http://www.mopar1.us/875.html

Back