Smoke coming from dashboard vents- Help

Yellowdart69

Reaction score
Any idea what to look for- My 82 Cordoba is not used very much anymore. But yesterday, I drove it for four or five hours. Everything was fine. This morning, almost as soon as I started driving, I noticed a burning smell in the car, then saw smoke coming out of the passenger side air vents. After turning off the motor, I opened the hood. Smoke was coming out of the cowl intake vent. I drove the car home and parked it in the driveway. Any idea of what could be wrong? Thank you.

jasperjacko

Reaction score
was your heat a/c system on. was it maybe steam....heater core? or the thing that adjusts voltage for the blower? its mounted inside the firewall and is open to the cowl area.

Dago Red

Reaction score
Electrical will have a pretty pungent smell. If it smells like somebody is burning wood/leaves, you probably have a buildup of local debris from Mother Nature

MiradaMegacab

Reaction score
There is a resistor mounted on a PC board that is exposed to the cowl. The PC board bolts to the cowl from inside the car just above the glove compartment. U will see wires plugged into it.

Yellowdart69

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. The smell and smoke have gone away. The car runs as well as ever. The blower works on all speeds. There was a lot of debris in the cowl area, on the passenger side - mostly insulation! like the kind used in the interior, for sound. I have no idea how it got there. I didn't see any mouse droppings.

Back