Snapping metal in the COLD

slant6billy

Reaction score
OK. Colder than a witch's t__ on a Sunday. The cold does serve purpose. Ever needed to break something? I mean your in teardown mode and you can't get the old stuff off because the metal has either rusted itself to the point it is now fused together. Practically welded. Case in point, I had to change front shocks with the stem top being impossible to get break the nut. The shaft would just spin. Could get it with the cutoff wheel, nor sawzaw, or dremel. I was able to get a hacksaw blade on the nut and work in 3 inch strokes. Toook for ever to get a notch in ether side on the top stem. As another member (BHA43) said, I was able to bend it back and forth with a junk piece of pipe. The stem shaft snapped like a piece of dry spaghetti. Thanks to the cold weather for making some quick work. Some remember,the cold weather serves purpose. Note: you can snap metal in the summer, just go get some liquid nitrogen.

80 Aspen RT

Reaction score
Lol.......it's a proven scientific fact that a witches breast is no colder than a mortals.......lol
That's just what I heard.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
It's a nitrogen day up here I'll tell ya.

And for the record witch breasts are warm.
Vampire breasts are cold....ask me how I know.....

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Hypothetical examples.....
A user's guide to identifying the difference.

Witch....
Warm, caring, mellow, helpful, usually stoned on weed and a whole lot of fun....

586dc565d79cd17ec9e8c5124e51c9f2.jpg

Vampire....
Indifferent, devious, cunning, dangerous, usually stoned on blow and one hell of a good time......abuse at your own risk.
_l1KxIP2hq8.jpg

586dc565d79cd17ec9e8c5124e51c9f2.jpg

_l1KxIP2hq8.jpg

Last edited:

BHA43

Reaction score
They snap like that in the summer too! I used to kick ass on flat rate back in my day! Now tying my shoes winds me.

OK. Colder than a witch's t__ on a Sunday. The cold does serve purpose. Ever needed to break something? I mean your in teardown mode and you can't get the old stuff off because the metal has either rusted itself to the point it is now fused together. Practically welded. Case in point, I had to change front shocks with the stem top being impossible to get break the nut. The shaft would just spin. Could get it with the cutoff wheel, nor sawzaw, or dremel. I was able to get a hacksaw blade on the nut and work in 3 inch strokes. Toook for ever to get a notch in ether side on the top stem. As another member (BHA43) said, I was able to bend it back and forth with a junk piece of pipe. The stem shaft snapped like a piece of dry spaghetti. Thanks to the cold weather for making some quick work. Some remember,the cold weather serves purpose. Note: you can snap metal in the summer, just go get some liquid nitrogen.

slant6billy

Reaction score
Driverside snapped, but believe it or not, I got the passenger side with a pair of vice grips and a dose of Berkable and PB blaster. It is so cold that the WD40, PB, and other aerosol sprays won't work. So an old nail smashed through the bottom of the can is the only way to get that stuff out and on the hardware. Is it me or did the manufacturers start getting clever and make it so these cans fail after some use and setting on the shelf for a few months. I grabbed 8 different somewhat full cans and no spray or squirt. Back in the day my dad had WD to Kroll and none ever failed to spray. Home depot sells a pump spray bottle for paint. I may buy is just to reclaim the unsprayed lube and penetrants.

slant6billy

Reaction score
My garage is 37° and I'm pacing myself with the heater core in the Volare. I'll be putting the steering column back up for this evening.

Monkeyed

Reaction score
Hope you've got some kind of heat in there.

I don't know about y'all, but I've got an old construction site heater that runs off a 50# propane tank. I picked 'em both up on clearance from Home Depot years back. I have to use a blowtorch to get it started, and it takes a while to heat the garage, but give it a half hour or so, and it goes from "I can't feel my fingers!" to "I can't see my breath!"

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I don't know about y'all, but I've got an old construction site heater that runs off a 50# propane tank. I picked 'em both up on clearance from Home Depot years back. I have to use a blowtorch to get it started, and it takes a while to heat the garage, but give it a half hour or so, and it goes from "I can't feel my fingers!" to "I can't see my breath!"

No garage for me....all driveway work.

Superpac Ninja

Reaction score
i use the same saying the wife makes fun of me and says it before i get a chance now on cold days

Back