Stamped Rocker Ratio?

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

The LA engine had a rocker ratio of 1.5 but I read they were always under 1.5, the Magnum has 1.6 rockers, are they a true 1.6?

Thanks
Bruce

Aspen500

Reaction score
The Magnum rockers are theoretically 1.6:1 but like the shaft mounted rockers that were a theoretical 1.5:1, they can vary a little less and a little more. I'm talking factory OEM rockers. They aren't made to the same exacting standards, being mass produced at the lowest possible cost, as quality aftermarket rockers are. So, the OEM Magnum rockers probably aren't all a true 1.6:1 If you checked enough of them, you probably could come up with a matched set but that's not really an option.

One downside to going aftermarket to get a true 1.6 ratio is $$$$$$$$$$$ They aren't cheap.

80mirada

Reaction score
The Magnum rockers are far better than tge LA rockers when it comes to accuraccy and consistency. Plus you can adapt shivey aftermarket rockers if you can find correct guide plates

Aspen500

Reaction score
I didn't want to mention the bow tie thing:p Other than they use 3/8" studs, they're exactly the same and upgrading to 3/8" isn't a bad idea regardless.

80mirada

Reaction score
As long as no one trys to use the stamped ones they can be made to work. Magnum specific aftermarket armd are available toi, but can be a pain to find

Aspen500

Reaction score
I saw various ones on a quick search but they're 2 or 3 times more expensive than ones for the almighty SBC.

Leeinri

Reaction score
The chevy rocker retrofit kits fit like garbage! I was asked to install a set from Hughes. The guide plates are made by Edelbrock for their aluminum Magnum heads and they give you some adaption contraption "dual diameter" studs (5/16"x3/8"). Go ahead, try to setup the guide plates and keep the roller straight on the valve tip. Ain't happening! They suck and are not worth the hassle!

Back