Tailshaft plate screws!?

mchartier105

Reaction score
So, I'm in the middle of a trans rebuild right now on a 904, I just got to the tailshaft and I'm trying to get the 2 screws that hold the plate that covers the snap ring out and they will not budge!!!

I haven't been trying super hard since I don't want to strip them... Does anyone have any advice to help get them out? Thanks.

80mirada

Reaction score
one of those hammer driven hand impact tools.

upload_2017-2-24_8-29-39.png

4speedjim

Reaction score
Both excellent methods of freeing stuck fasteners. If its bi-metal corrosion Ir to Al, heat seems better able to preserve and release the threads. I don't know if it does any good, but I like to Teflon tape the threads of a bolt before threading it into Al in hopes of retarding bi-metal corrosion over time. Ive not been disappointed with this idea. It seems to be effective at slowing or stopping galling of the threads.

Aspen500

Reaction score
A lot of times, especially with taper head fasteners, heating the head of the fastener works good. In combination with the impact driver, most any of them will come out. Heating expands the fastener and releases the tension (it that's the word to use). I use that method all the time on cars where the brake rotors are held on with tapered screws and 95% of the time they break loose. 5% of the time they just break.

AJ/FormS

Reaction score
On the Circle of the earth, Southern Man,Canada
One trick I have used in a pinch is to Smack those screws with a hammer and the correctly sized steel Phillips bit.This crushes the oxidation.And since the gasket is cork, a bit of penetrant will work it it's way in there given time. Then they usually they just screw right out.
But if not, Stick a screwdriver in the cross and prepare to crank it . Then simultaneously smack the top of the screwdriver, and turn. Smack and turn.
Your timing is critical.
Don't use a screwdriver with a wooden handle tho.
And you don't need to pound on it like you're sinking nails in oak.
Essentially you are mimicking the driver thingy.

4speedjim

Reaction score
I like your explanations. They're easy to envision. You have a good talent for explaining and you give me anyway, a clear mental picture or description. You must be a field where you manage, train or educate.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Trans plate.JPG

For those Phillip head screws, I don’t recommend heat.
That cork gasket wet with ATF sounds like a visit from your local fire dept. will be coming soon.

The impact screwdriver pictured in post # 3 is the ticket.
Just hold the handle in direction you want screw to spin in, tap it with a hammer (not hard) and they will be out in no time.
BudW

Back