Thank you Mr. Obvious

Aspen500

Reaction score

slant6billy

Reaction score
Lets take a look at road salt, pre- brine, snow melt and other corrosive stuff that is put to roads when it snows.
This crap cost money to local and state governments, thus tax dollars. What happens to asphalt from all this crap? It starts to break down. Where does all this crap end up? In the local streams , creeks and rivers. Not to mention ground water. So how do we stop this? It does more harm than good. How many folks actually look under a car or truck they own and know how to spot issues? How many mechanics are going to take the high road? LIABILITY! Car makers are trying their damn-est to avoid the burden on them- so they recommend wash your car. I like what Captain's fifth has on it in the winter. That ooey gooey good stuff that stops the decay of the car. I can't find it here in the Communist state of New Jersey, but I'd use it like mad. My worry is the ignorant Fool who loses their brakes and runs into me.

Aspen500

Reaction score
I'd have to say that not 2 days go by at work when someone isn't building new brake lines for a vehicle. Those Chevy and GMC pickups from about 2001-2008 are the worst. The OEM line is not very good and the way the lines run doesn't help either. We used to make every line from scratch (if one is bad on these trucks, they all are) and it took at least a full day. Now, we keep one pre-bent kit in stock for each wheelbase, from In-Line Tube.

You're right, most people never see under their vehicles so it's up to us (auto tech's) to let them know about the rust. We've had a number of vehicles that ended up being scrapped after letting the owners know about the serious underbody rust to where it was simply not safe to drive anymore. Not just brake lines but sub frames, suspension mount and suspension pieces, etc. Yes, even suspension parts rot out (control arms and rear axle links specifically). Even had a Hyundai Santa Fe come in on the flatbed with the left rear suspension arm/bearing upright assy rotted so bad the wheel was about 5" toed out. Taurus' are bad for the front suspension/drivetrain cradle rotting away even though from the outside, the car looks pretty good yet. I can count at least 4 cradles we've replaced this year already. It's not that bad a job and the scrapyards are full of good ones (i.e. dime a dozen). One guy even scrapped a 2006 Toyota Tundra when the frame rotted so bad the truck almost bent in half. Then there's the 2010 F-150 (yes, 2010). One of the guys went to raise it on the hoist and heard a big crunching sound. Stopped and looked, the frame was collapsing at the left front hoist pad. This was on a well cared for truck that was clean and maintained. Needless to say, the owner made a call to Ford. Salt ruins cars, ruins bridges and roads before their time yet they keep using more and more. That brine stuff that they spray is worse yet. Salt if there's ice? OK, I can see that but there's no reason to spread salt on snow. None at all. Sorry, rant over now!

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
It's all money up here. The city has to spend their budget and the salt guys want the dough. They pile it on up here even if there's just a dusting and take a toll it does.

I just replaced the engine cradle in my mother in laws Scumfire a while back. I'm surprised it didn't snap just bringing it to my buddy's....it was bad.

2013-09-20165219.jpg

2013-09-20172318.jpg

2013-09-20170453.jpg

I think it's sort of a "make work program"
The salt guys, the road guys and of course the car companies. Most people dump their rides in five years tops. Keeps people buying cars when they rot out from under them.

slant6billy

Reaction score
Toyota SUV and trucks got hammered. The Company had to either frame fix or buy back the trucks. My budy had a nice one on top, but underneath it was cornflakes. So, Toyota refused to let him leave with the truck and it was a factory certified used vehicle with only 60K on the clock.

My 95 Van has the cornflakes on the engine cross member. It also serves as the lower control arm mounting points. So My project in late May early June is to swap it with abetterone. I'm coating that beotch with a crap load of rust bullet.

Back