The 318 with 340 heads debate.

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Its been kicked around for years and years, even the bore notching.

Have you ever did the swap? Would you try it and why or why not?

Yes this is a bated thread because ive a bit of semi concrete results on the topic.

Duke5A

Reaction score
Funny, I just reread the Junkyard Jewel 400HP 318 build a couple days ago. They explicitly said valve to bore interference is not a problem even for 2.08" valves on a 318. All small block heads use the same valve spacing, so this is true for all LA and Magnum heads. Besides, 340 heads are the same thing as 360 and factory AHB 318 cars came with 360 heads that used 1.88" intake valves.

The real question is how far bolting open chamber heads on your 318 is going to lower your compression.

XfbodyX

Reaction score
I will scan the article, I find it interesting and mostly believable because of when it was done.

HR mag as part of a series of testing 340 cars tested the 340 version (demon) and then in 72 when the article was done bought a low mile used 71 318 car.

They swapped over oem 340 heads, intake/carb added a cam and headers and gained 2.5 seconds. With some illustrations of the very slight bore notch to them at the time they seemed to show little concern with any compression drop and a 2.5 second ET improvement is pretty good imo.

I think they went from a base 16.5 to 14.0

Would of kinda been cool if they could of tested after each mod vs as a whole but I did find it interesting.

Im wondering about the bore notch might actually being helpful in the same way a indy 360-1 head gives up a few cc for the chamber design around the intake valve blending it into the chamber.

I will scan it or at the very least photo the article.

AJ/FormS

Reaction score
On the Circle of the earth, Southern Man,Canada
Done this a couple of times; no bore nothing required, but IMO a waste of time.
The 318 is compression challenged to say the least, and big port heads just make it sluggish out of the gate. And the 340 cam just makes it more sluggish.

IMO, if you wanna wake a 318 up, just throw a 2800TC at it, a small-port 4bbl, dual exhaust and the biggest darn gears you dare drive. She does real good with 4.30s, pretty good with 3.91s, good with 3.55s but no less than that, until you bring the compression up..
With the factory cam, those big-port heads are a waste, and usually a pressure loss, and that kills bottom end. The late closing intake of the 340 cam bleeds more pressure, so the bottom-end goes away some more. If you keep the 2.76s found in most teener cars, you will keep her in the sluggish zone until ~40 mph. Sux to be there.
If you actually wanna spend money on the teener, the absolute best thing you can do for her is pump up the compression, then dual exhaust, then a 4bbl., and no cam until you bump the compression.
If you do the above including gears, then I recommend a lil more valve spring, so she'll go to at least 5000rpm,5500 is better, still on the factory cam. This really helps the car jump at the gear change.

4.30s will let her hit 60@~5000 in second gear with 26.5tires.... and that will be killer, I know, and still as virgin, but with duals and the 2800 to launch with. You won't believe it's the same engine. Hyup I ran that engine that way for about three winters, in my hotrod, while I freshened the 367.

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Ive noticed there is a section of the 70-s crowd that entertain gear ratios in the 2-s. I cant even deal with the 3.?? ratios in my world. Same for oem converters.

Ive finially got time to dump the cam in my little 318/324 project and measure a few things and then finish up the heads.

I will try to scan the article I mentioned here in a bit.

3.JPG

volare 77

Reaction score
I did the 340 heads(1.88) on a 318 when I was a kid. The car already had headers, 4 bl intake and a small DC cam before the swap. My 72 Charger went from mid 16`s to low 15`s IIRC. I believe I had 3.55 gears I believe my best run was 15.1 before I sold the car. I was told that the 2.02 valve heads would be close to hitting and to not use them. I don`t remember if I made any other changes at the time but maybe I upgraded the cam too. That was a long time ago so everything is a little fuzzy.

Last edited:

Oldiron440

Reaction score
Or you could do something unheard of and build with compression, cam, good heads, the appropriate converter and gears.

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Id be tempted to try the tiny bore notch on a low comp 318 but id not be comfortable with a zero deck piston.

DSC00001.JPG

DSC00002.JPG

DSC00003.JPG

DSC00004.JPG

DSC00005.JPG

DSC00006.JPG

TylerW

Reaction score
My '73 Dart Sport had a fresh '70 318 topped with X heads, 340 intake and exhaust manifolds and an unknown cam...and it was a dog. It might have been more enjoyable with a steeper gear, but it felt about like the stock 318 in the '74 Valiant I had before it. Check it out...action starts at 5:00:

XfbodyX

Reaction score
That vid shows a equal to or quicker car then a untouched E58 360/4bb f body.

Both very gear deprived.

Back