The perfect F wagon is finally coming of age

old yellow 78

Reaction score
There is a beautiful ’77 Volare wagon for sale on EB in recent days. 1977 Plymouth Other Premier Wagon 4-Door | eBay Looking at this car, I am struck with two thoughts. One, that the F body Volare and Aspen was one of, if not the most, attractive station wagons designed and produced in the 1970’s. Two, that the awareness and appreciation of, and hence the monetary value of, these cars is definitely increasing.

Particularly on the wagons, from every angle, the design is just right. Each detail integrates so well with the next, and the total effect is one of balance, perfect proportion, and restrained but attractive styling not typical of many other American cars during the same time period. It is amazing to me that so many haters love to malign the F’s in particular, and all cars of the ‘70’s in general. True, Chrysler did push them out the door too quickly, and quality periodically suffered in several areas as a result for the first two years, but after that, they were simply beautiful and excellent cars. In this way, they are somewhat similar to the spectacularly designed Chrysler Corporations ‘57’s – beautifully and creatively designed, but pushed to market too quickly. You would think that Chrysler would have learned a lesson back then, but I suppose in the mid-seventies, Chrysler felt it couldn’t afford to delay release of the F’s, given their precarious financial situation.

Regarding one particular major detail of the F’s design, the grille, my own personal preference is the ‘76/’77 Volare grille which this EB wagon demonstrates so effectively. Of the six different grille designs used on the Volare/Aspen’s during their five years of production, that one is my favorite. Followed closely by the ‘78/’79 Aspen grille. All of them were attractive, but those two are my favorites, and I believe fit the car’s styling so well.

As of this writing, the Volare wagon in the EB ad has not earned a bid yet, however, I do not feel that the price (either starting or “buy it now”) is out of line for that particular wagon. I think the days of getting these wagons for “cheapy lot” prices are numbered. This is partly due to them not just becoming more appreciated and noticed, but that so few seem to be left. Just try finding one in a salvage yard (with the wonderful exception of Deconstructor Jim’s business!) or for sale (with the exception of Gordie’s F stash out in Idaho!)

Owning Old Yellow, my ’78 Aspen base wagon, I could easily be considered to be simply biased, but actually, I remember well when the F’s were first introduced, and at that time, I was absolutely struck with how attractive these wagons were, and that they were the perfect size. I also remember that I thought they looked like an Americanized version of the venerable Volvo wagon (a good thing). In 1978, I bought my first F wagon, a slightly used ’76 Volare Premiere, slant six with four speed, brown with caramel interior. Although it was one of the much maligned “first year” F’s, it proved to be one of the very best cars that I have ever owned, and I miss it to this day. In the years since, I have owned approximately 9 or 10 more, and all but one were wagons. I had to search for several years before I finally found and bought OY a few years ago.

So, perhaps all of us F owners and admirers should give ourselves a collective pat on the back for beating the curve and appreciating these great cars even before they began to be recognized in the old car hobby. It will be interesting to see if and when repro parts begin to be reproduced (let’s hope they begin to reproduce those great grilles before too long). I also wish the seller of this wagon good luck, and preemptively congratulate the future buyer.

s-l1600 (1).jpg
s-l1600 (2).jpg
s-l1600 (3).jpg
s-l1600 (5).jpg

Last edited:

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
A nice car and looks to be about the same condition mine was when I got mine.

I had to look hard to find one without woodgrain (not sure why - but I don’t care much for it.
This one is a higher trim level than mine.

I’ve might have overpaid for my wagon – but I liked it, a lot and figured it was worth it. I paid $6,400 (if I recall correctly), plus the cost to get it shipped across the states.

You can restore a car a few times – but it will only be original/nice looking once.

That said, I don’t see anyone forking down $9.000 for it (my guess as what the reserve is – like I have any idea).

old yellow 78

Reaction score
A nice car and looks to be about the same condition mine was when I got mine.

I had to look hard to find one without woodgrain (not sure why - but I don’t care much for it.
This one is a higher trim level than mine.

I’ve might have overpaid for my wagon – but I liked it, a lot and figured it was worth it. I paid $6,400 (if I recall correctly), plus the cost to get it shipped across the states.

You can restore a car a few times – but it will only be original/nice looking once.

That said, I don’t see anyone forking down $9.000 for it (my guess as what the reserve is – like I have any idea).
I agree with you BudW on the woodgrain. Not a big fan of it, although I've had two wagons with it. I had a loaded brown '79 Volare Premiere with the woodgrain, and I always thought it was too much chrome. The Aspen that I had with woodgrain looked better with the light woodtone trim rather than the Volare's chrome.
Pricing is very difficult, because emotion is involved. Some may think that say.. 9K would be too much for this wagon, but again, try to find another one with only 19,000 miles. Really it would depend on how much a person wanted it. One thing I would definitely check out is the repainted quarters on it. Have to wonder "why?"
When I bought OY, I was willing to pay what the seller wanted because of it being a 4 speed, zero rust desert car, and only having 27,000 miles on it at the time. I had looked for a good one for years, and wasn't about to let it get away by haggling over price. I've never regretted it yet.
From what I have seen of your wagon, I think that was a fair price, particularly with the four speed. Also, the blue color is really unusual and distinctive. A real standout at any car show. It must be a blast to drive it around town. Nothing else like it on the road anymore.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I got car with 32k miles and already driven it 6k miles.

It is an automatic, unfortunately.

old yellow 78

Reaction score
I got car with 32k miles and already driven it 6k miles.

It is an automatic, unfortunately.
I thought yours was an four speed for some reason. Doesn't matter, automatics are great too. Most of mine were except for the first '76 wagon, and now OY.
The wagon on EB has a single bid now of $7500. Somebody recognizes it for what it is and it's potential.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I bought mine with plans on installing a big block and either a 5 or a 6 speed Tremec in it, but when the car arrived – it was too nice to modify.

It might still happen.

I have these “people” standing on both shoulders whispering in my ear; one (in white) saying “Don’t do it” and the other (in red) saying ”Do It! Do It!”.

LSM360

Reaction score
I've been drooling over that car since it popped up, but not bidding. Last I checked it had one bid at 7500. Nothing against the slanty, but I'd like it even better with a 318 or 360. The rear gate doesn't fit well. Probably that way from the factory.

got job

Reaction score
While this car does look great, if anyone is considering it please ask for pictures of the undercarriage. A friend has shown me the pics he got and they are suspect for a lot of rust and repair. The car is out of Ohio I think. The lower quarters have had repair also.

old yellow 78

Reaction score
View attachment 18481 I was never a fan of the woodgrain myself. But there was just something bout this car.......
That's one beautiful Aspen wagon you have there Chris! I have to agree, the woodgrain would not have been one of the options I would have ever ordered new, but it does look very nice particularly with some colors more than others. I think the white with woodgrain is about my favorite combo, and it was used extensively by Mopar in their advertisements. However, I also like the black with woodgrain combo which was the colors of the parts wagon in Oklahoma that I got my wheels and plaid interior from. I don't think I have ever seen it on any other wagon except that one.
Oklahoma Kansas May 23-30 2015 017.jpg

Although it was in pretty sad shape, particularly after I got done stripping off what I wanted, it was clearly a very beautiful wagon in years past. Two other colors that I think would work very well with the woodgrain sides would be the dark green, and the light yellow (Classic Cream) that is the color of Old Yellow. But, I am just as glad that it doesn't have it, or the side molding either for that matter.
June 14, 2015 015.jpg

I plan to have OY repainted in it's original Classic Cream sometime in the future and will also have the "stick-on" door guard molding removed at that point. I'm thinking that just a simple pinstripe in either black or brown along the upper edges would suit it nicely. Nothing says "The 70's" more than pinstripe except possibly plaid interior!
Oklahoma Kansas May 23-30 2015 015.jpg

Justwondering

Reaction score
Harvest Gold and Avacado Green --
Refrig was one of those colors and the cups, saucers, and plates were the other.

70s colors.jpg

gold refrig.jpg

green oven.jpg

old yellow 78

Reaction score

old yellow 78

Reaction score
I second the "right off the picnic table and into the car" plaid interior!!! That's the main reason for purchasing this wagon!!

View attachment 18502

View attachment 18503
Wow! That looks great! I STILL haven't installed my plaid interior into OY yet. Just don't have the time and I need to figure out how to get new carpet for the four speed, four door. That is one really nice looking wagon. I'd really like to see more pics of it.

slantman

Reaction score
I'm very pleased to see so many wagon "lovers" here, I posted some time ago the pics of my early 77 when I had changed the tank area to use the later style tank and the on going body repair/ repaint. In the process of ALL of the work I took care of many of the small shortcomings of the F: Cuda zappa pucks and spring mts. , cop sway bar, sub frame connecters, gas shocks, and new rear springs, trans was gone through and Jami passion syncros installed/resealed. just a few of the upgrades. Then some of the other Smaller details like a M dash with after market oil pressure and volt gauges. New Sanden style AC compressor, new condenser, hose's and dryer The complete list of items would fill a page or two. I think there may be a few pictures in my computer if I can find them and remember how to post??? If the prices continue to climb and I don't get PS on it soon, I may be tempted to sell!!!

Back