Timing chain slop question

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
I'm starting to think I'll have to do a timing chain on whatever engine I put in the car so why bother doing it now.

And when it comes to mag vs la engines, my only reasoning behind using an la is avoiding having to deal with the throttle body injection.

If I didn't like this ugly mutt car, I wouldn't have replaced the interior lol

I plan on keeping this screw ball car for a long time. It's cheaper and far more entertaining than video games or television or Facespace or Ding-Dong or Twatter or Attention Gram.

Plus I'll never get the money I've spent so far on it back out so might as well enjoy the ride

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
Con with a 360 is your current transmission has about as much chance as the rear axle does lasting behind it and city gas mileage will be noticeably worse.

If this is more of a fun car go 360. If it's a daily driver stick with the 318. If you really are considering changing the engine forget the timing chain keep driving it and get things lined up to do that in the meantime.

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
Con with a 360 is your current transmission has about as much chance as the rear axle does lasting behind it and city gas mileage will be noticeably worse.

If this is more of a fun car go 360. If it's a daily driver stick with the 318. If you really are considering changing the engine forget the timing chain keep driving it and get things lined up to do that in the meantime.
Definitely a fun car. I'd lose my shirt on the ethanol free 91 octane bill if I drove it everyday. I'm lucky if I get it out once a week. Part of the problem too is the horrendous paint job. It's so embarrassing I leave the car dusty to hide it.

So, here's where my extreme mopar ignorance comes in. The transmission in an 87 is a 998 or a 999, right? Those can't handle a 360?

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
So, here's where my extreme mopar ignorance comes in. The transmission in an 87 is a 998 or a 999, right? Those can't handle a 360?

A healthy 999 has the best chance but anything thats been abused or neglected for years won't.

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
A healthy 999 has the best chance but anything thats been abused or neglected for years won't.
Yeah... good point.... the previous owner used all kinds of transmission fluid. There were several different brands and types in the trunk, none of them chrysler type ATFs. Which I'm confused by because its never low after I drive it. I dumped the pan right after I got it but I know that doesn't get everything. I dumped a bunch again when I did the neutral safety switch.

I'm beginning to wonder if this was somebody's field car that they trashed around.

I could have bought a better car with the money I've spent, but where's the fun in that?

Camtron

Reaction score
screw a throttle body…let them freedom ponies run. Will work on LA and Magnum engines.
Air Gap Intake Manifold for Small Block Chrysler Mopar 318 340 360 1967-2003 | eBay

45321764-8B87-4DA2-8022-85B9E01C4490.jpeg

kkritsilas

Reaction score
An A999 or A998 should be able to handle a stock Magnum 360 (either with the throttle body injection, or stock like intake and four barrel carb), assuming you don't go racing with it, or partake of the stop light drags very often. If you do, or you modify the engine to over 350HP, you will have issues. Same goes for the rear end.

If you are going with the Magnum 360, may as well get the transmission that it is attached to it. You'll get an overdrive gear, on top of everything else, which will allow quieter, more efficient cruising, and can allow for a better rear end ratio without killing your mileage on the highway.

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
An A999 or A998 should be able to handle a stock Magnum 360 (either with the throttle body injection, or stock like intake and four barrel carb), assuming you don't go racing with it, or partake of the stop light drags very often. If you do, or you modify the engine to over 350HP, you will have issues. Same goes for the rear end.

If you are going with the Magnum 360, may as well get the transmission that it is attached to it. You'll get an overdrive gear, on top of everything else, which will allow quieter, more efficient cruising, and can allow for a better rear end ratio without killing your mileage on the highway.
I'm completely ignorant about mopars so I could be wrong here, but I'm not cutting up the car to force an overdrive transmission in. A 3 speed is fine by me.

350 horse power? I'd rather have a better paint job. I can't begin to describe how truly cringeworthy the paint job on this car is. There's drips, spray lines, and, worst of all, BRUSH MARKS!!!!! I'll probably have a whole thread on that one day.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
After killing a few 904 variants behind 360s my philosophy changed to run it till it dies and then go 727 (I never did the 518 route yet). Like I said if you're starting with a healthy 999 it should last a while but 35+ years in I wouldn't bet on it. On the plus side 998/999 does have a lower 1st gear. You also need either the b&m flex plate or have the 360 weight added to the torque converter if you're using a transmission that was behind a 318.

A good 318 can wreck a 7.25 axle. Definitely have something lined up if it's going to be behind a 360 for any length of time.

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
After killing a few 904 variants behind 360s my philosophy changed to run it till it dies and then go 727 (I never did the 518 route yet). Like I said if you're starting with a healthy 999 it should last a while but 35+ years in I wouldn't bet on it. On the plus side 998/999 does have a lower 1st gear. You also need either the b&m flex plate or have the 360 weight added to the torque converter if you're using a transmission that was behind a 318.

A good 318 can wreck a 7.25 axle. Definitely have something lined up if it's going to be behind a 360 for any length of time.
Yup, definitely time to start hoarding more parts.

This mopar thing gets addicting.

dm330

Reaction score
I’ll add that with a stock-ish 318la paired with a 8.25”, 3.21 gears and suregrip, these cars pull pretty dang decent compared to a modern car/truck.
With a 360Mag, 300HP +\- and the same/similar rear end set up, it will almost feel like a stick of dynamite under your foot when you first punch the gas, lol
When you posted about that 3.21 gear ratio in another thread, it inspired me to opt for that gear ratio instead of the 3.07 I was dead set on. Sounds like a very nice city/highway gear. How's that torque converter handling the new gears? Is it still the stock TC?

Camtron

Reaction score
When you posted about that 3.21 gear ratio in another thread, it inspired me to opt for that gear ratio instead of the 3.07 I was dead set on. Sounds like a very nice city/highway gear. How's that torque converter handling the new gears? Is it still the stock TC?
Still the stock TC, handling the changes well. It’s been nice in city traffic, particularly on the highway since speeds rarely get over 65mph during rush hour. Cruises along nicely with plenty of grunt to comfortably maneuver and keep up with modern traffic speeds making lane changes and such. Now, at 3:00am when the expressway is empty and I can get the car moving to 95-100mph on the Speedo, you definitely hear the rotational noises that the A999 is know for. Unquestionably. But it’s chugging along nicely, still handles drops into 1st at 35-40mpg…for now, lol.
It really makes the car kinda pull like a solid pick up truck, lol.
…I definitely plan to rebuild the trans before I swap on the 5.9mag. Edit: I also have a high stall converter I’m going to run too.

Last edited:

Duke5A

Reaction score
You're going to want either a Mag 5.9l, or an LA 360 from 89-92. Roller cam friendly blocks.

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
You're going to want either a Mag 5.9l, or an LA 360 from 89-92. Roller cam friendly blocks.
Yeah there's no way I'm going flat tappet unless one falls in my lap dirt cheap. Rollers really are a better mousetrap.

dm330

Reaction score
Still the stock TC, handling the changes well. It’s been nice in city traffic, particularly on the highway since speeds rarely get over 65mph during rush hour. Cruises along nicely with plenty of grunt to comfortably maneuver and keep up with modern traffic speeds making lane changes and such. Now, at 3:00am when the expressway is empty and I can get the car moving to 95-100mph on the Speedo, you definitely hear the rotational noises that the A999 is know for. Unquestionably. But it’s chugging along nicely, still handles drops into 1st at 35-40mpg…for now, lol.
It really makes the car kinda pull like a solid pick up truck, lol.
…I definitely plan to rebuild the trans before I swap on the 5.9mag. Edit: I also have a high stall converter I’m going to run too.
That's good to know. If I'm lucky I'll probably get her up to 80-85 mph, but 70-75 for sure in my area. My Ram handles the 90-95 really well, still waiting to see how the Fifth will handle on the roads once I get it back.

Back