Tip of the day !!

80mirada

Reaction score
A good 1/4" drive socket set. Try to get as large of range of sizes both shallow and deep, a quality swivel and a selection of extensions. You will be surprised at how much more you will use the "small" drive set. It is much easier to handle in tight spots. When I was in the junkyard it was rare to find me with anything bigger.

Locking pliers set, very helpful in holding on to rounded nuts and bolts, and holding things together.

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
tip.jpg

80mirada

Reaction score
An inexpensive digital or dial caliper, it can answer a lot of silly questions, and help you find the right part.

Beam type torque wrench, they are handy for setting pre-loads, or they can be adapted to check your click wrenches.

Mechanics stethoscope, I had always used the long screwdriver to sound probe, until I was gifted a stethoscope. They are much easier to use, and can get into tight spots. Plus they are cheep for a good one.

80mirada

Reaction score
Penetrating oil, I suggest trying a couple of different brands to see what you like to use. I always keep WD40 on hand no matter what other penetrating oil I have, I use it to clean tools before they go back in the box.

Cutting oil, if you have taps and dies make sure you have cutting oil. It will help keep them sharp, and make using them easier. It also helps with drilling thick or hard metals.

Drill Bits, a good set of drills bits is a must, sharp drills save you time and effort. Having a decent selection of sizes can really help

Floor Jack, Don't skimp when it comes to a jack. It doesn't have to be expensive, but gett one with some lifting power and a decent foot print.

Jack Stands, multiple sets, come in handy

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
If you're doing an oil change on a 80's M body with a 318 and the car is on the ground like some of us have to do.... crank your steering all the way to the left and you can easily get to the oil filter from behind the passenger side front wheel.

80mirada

Reaction score
I second the composite ramps, they are a lot sturdier than the steel ones. I use mine on gravel all the time.

Wheel chocks, A cheap source is GM trucks, S series trucks, and Astro vans have nice steel wheel chocks in them, other wise making your own from some scrap lumber easy.

Take some of old drum brake shoes and place them behind the rear tires and in front of the front tires, like wheel chocks, and they keep hoses from getting caught under tires. Attached to some custom wooden wheel chocks would be even better.

Back