Torsion-Bar nightmare

1337m4723

Reaction score
K-frame bushings, subframe insulator bushings, and about a dozen other names. Firm Feel, Espo (springs n things), and poly bushings have them.

www.firmfeel.com
http://www.polybushings.com/pag

They will be polyurethane, rubber ones are almost impossible to get now. Firm Feel has solid aluminum ones too

Thanks for the fast answer! Are there any special specifications for F-Bodies or are there some universal parts available?

80mirada

Reaction score
They are specific to F-M-J bodies, and late B-R bodies. Firm Feel is a Mopar only suspension and steering shop, and they make a lot of upgrades for our cars

volare 77

Reaction score
Now as far as the torsion bars. You did a good job in getting those apart. I got impatient and ended up cutting mine up. I have new mopar mounts and end pieces i bought a long time ago. I can`t seem to locate the one end kit . It`s 4026844 IIRC.

Aspen500

Reaction score
As mentioned, the poly insulators (mounts) are readily available from any number of sources. Usually they are listed only as fitting "B-Body" even though the same ones fit F and R body.

I've got poly insulators and they're a good compromise between solid and rubber. Stiff enough to keep the subframe from moving around but soft enough to give a little vibration/noise isolation. I like them better than the solids I had in there for years and years but then I'm getting old(er) and am willing to give up a little bit of handling for a little bit more comfort.:cool:

volare 77

Reaction score
I thought it may be cheaper if he found something closer to him. Shipping cost can be a killer sometimes.

1337m4723

Reaction score
Thanks everyone of you for your kind support! :)

So summing up: These parts would fit to my car: 73-79 B-Body & 79-81 R-Body Front Suspension K-Member to Frame Rail Polyurethane Mount Set

They are specific to F-M-J bodies, and late B-R bodies. Firm Feel is a Mopar only suspension and steering shop, and they make a lot of upgrades for our cars

As mentioned, the poly insulators (mounts) are readily available from any number of sources. Usually they are listed only as fitting "B-Body" even though the same ones fit F and R body.

I've got poly insulators and they're a good compromise between solid and rubber. Stiff enough to keep the subframe from moving around but soft enough to give a little vibration/noise isolation. I like them better than the solids I had in there for years and years but then I'm getting old(er) and am willing to give up a little bit of handling for a little bit more comfort.:cool:

So I'd prefer the more comfortable way... I've got two other cars to daily drive, and so I just want a very relaxing driving with the project car :-D I guess the aluminum parts wont be the best choice for me..

On the body mounts. There is a guy that makes them . He is a member here. I haven`t bought them or seen them in person but they looked good from the pics. Maybe closer to you. isolator insert mounts

Are they really fitting? In comparison to the moparparts.com pictures, the look a bit different.

Now as far as the torsion bars. You did a good job in getting those apart. I got impatient and ended up cutting mine up. I have new mopar mounts and end pieces i bought a long time ago. I can`t seem to locate the one end kit . It`s 4026844 IIRC.

Thank you! :) We'll try to put the parts back in on the next weekend... Then I'll know if everything worked out..

I thought it may be cheaper if he found something closer to him. Shipping cost can be a killer sometimes.

If I see the pricing about 230$ the shipping of 40$ won't scare me. It's funny though, because all parts pricing doubled with shipping to germany. The extreme example is my exhaust pipe. It costs 12$ and with shipping it was 60€ until I got it sent home.

Poly

Reaction score
prothane 4-101.jpg

This kit was recommended on a previous discussion. Also available in red.

Prothane Body Mount Bushings 4-101-BL

and from the Prothane website:

Where To Buy

volare 77

Reaction score
yes, get them from summit racing or someone who won`t double the price. thats crazy. btw, the poly ones will look somewhat different too.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Just for FYI, I got my insulators from ESPO'S Springs 'n Things. They don't (or didn't at the time) have online ordering, only phone but the woman I spoke to was awesome. I think the idea is to make sure you get exactly the part you want and ,more importantly, need. Friendly doesn't come close to describing her phone technique. Same feeling you get if you call Bouchillon Performance, Summit, Denny's Driveshaft's and many others. Wish I could say the same for all of them. A certain reproduction upholstery vendor comes to mind, as does a certain dash pad recovering business, and an NOS Mopar parts dealer with really high prices................................

Anyways, the price was very reasonable. They were less than $50, including shipping. That was a few years ago.

1337m4723

Reaction score
So guys!
View attachment 32021

This kit was recommended on a previous discussion. Also available in red.

Prothane Body Mount Bushings 4-101-BL

and from the Prothane website:

Where To Buy

yes, get them from summit racing or someone who won`t double the price. thats crazy. btw, the poly ones will look somewhat different too.

Thanks you two for the link! At nationalmoparts.com they are really pricey... I got that. So I ordered the parts from summit. On the webpage they say they will be expected on 5th of november. Would be very nice if this really works out, because I'll need them soon. (explanation down the thread)

Short question: On the pictures from summit they seem like they are all oval and not round. On my car the ones on the front are looking oval, but the other ones seen on my previous pictures are perfectly round. Will the fit anyway?

Just for FYI, I got my insulators from ESPO'S Springs 'n Things. They don't (or didn't at the time) have online ordering, only phone but the woman I spoke to was awesome. I think the idea is to make sure you get exactly the part you want and ,more importantly, need. Friendly doesn't come close to describing her phone technique. Same feeling you get if you call Bouchillon Performance, Summit, Denny's Driveshaft's and many others. Wish I could say the same for all of them. A certain reproduction upholstery vendor comes to mind, as does a certain dash pad recovering business, and an NOS Mopar parts dealer with really high prices................................

Anyways, the price was very reasonable. They were less than $50, including shipping. That was a few years ago.

Thank you for this hint! I'll remember it for future. In my case it could be difficult by phone, because of the time-differences. From germany to east-coast it's allready about 7-8 hours. So it could be a bit messy trying ordering by phone :-D So my best luck will stay this webpage and you guys... I am really happy and thankful, that you are all so kind helping me with so many great information.

So back to the original topic: Today we were able to reassemble both torsion bars. We heated the parts and puttet it back together (pictures below). I think it will be enough to last for a while... which it better does because of the high effort.:rolleyes::mad:

So many greetings to all of you!

IMG_20181031_155757.jpg

IMG_20181031_155814.jpg

IMG_20181031_162129.jpg

IMG_20181031_162136.jpg

IMG_20181031_162150.jpg

IMG_20181031_162237.jpg

IMG_20181031_162243.jpg

IMG_20181031_162539.jpg

IMG_20181031_162545.jpg

IMG_20181031_162552.jpg

volare 77

Reaction score
You should have put on the boots for the torsion bar before installing the bushings. The boots can be hard to get over the hex.

1337m4723

Reaction score
You should have put on the boots for the torsion bar before installing the bushings. The boots can be hard to get over the hex.

Do you mean the central socket? The parts I got from polybushings.com are cut lengthwise, so it should be possible to pull them over the rod and not over the end piece, I hope.

volare 77

Reaction score
no, the boot that goes on the other end of the torsion bar where it has grease in the socket. the adjuster end of the bar.

1337m4723

Reaction score
no, the boot that goes on the other end of the torsion bar where it has grease in the socket. the adjuster end of the bar.

Ah now I understood what you meant! Yeah that could get tough, but they should fit over the end. When I removed it, it fitted without trouble. If it won't fit i'm sure I'll remember your words :oops:

volare 77

Reaction score
If you are reusing the old ones then you probably are ok but the firm feel reproduction ones are real tight. I have a pair if the smaller A body ones coming from DMT and I will see if they stretch enough to work. The F body and earlier C body cars have a bigger end for the large opening of the seal compared to the others.

volare 77

Reaction score
OK, for everyone`s info. I received the DMT t bar boots today. They are very tight on the bigger end but they slide on the the t bar fairly easy with some soapy water. Now if you are trying to put them over the hex end then you may run into problems because it didn`t seem like it wanted to stretch enough to go over. I will have some Firm Feel Boots for sale since i ordered them too and won`t need them. Plus the Firm Feel boot is poly and I wanted the OEM look. The guy at Firm Feel did say I would have a problem trying to get the boot over the hex end. I told him I had the bars apart and he said they should fit fine that way.

boot t bar.jpg

Aspen500

Reaction score
Volare77, about the bolt that holds the end bushing on. This is the one that came with my end kit (aftermarket from NAPA a few years ago), didn't need to cut any extra length off.
DSC00153.JPG

Back