tow rig questions / opinions

slant6billy

Reaction score
My 95 shorty 2500 ram just turn 100K. she is running good and doesn't owe me a thing. I towed a 35 foot enclosed trailer with that van and her 3.9 V6. Ok, So I see the need for a bigger badder tow rig. I'm looking at Cummings Rams 1988 to 2002. I need and extended cab for the obvious reason, but don't know about the long bed or short. Also, on the 95 through 2002, some non 4 wheel drives have an independent front end and some have a false axel tube (no diff) front end that looks like a 4WD. I don't really want 4WD. I do see that need when you get stuck. I don't want the extra maintenance. I'd rather have the indi front end since they seem to sit lower. Any thoughts to why Dodge makes that false axel front end on some of the 3/4 and 1 tons?

R/T Mirada

Reaction score
I think solid front axle is intended for the commercial market, lower cost to build and sell.
As far as tow rigs, while I like the look of the short beds. I believe a long bed would be a better choice since they would have a larger stance to handle towing larger loads

Mr.Lopar

Reaction score
all the 2wd trucks have independent front suspension.
you need an extended cab because of kids right? the 98-02 extended cab rams have the 3rd door, so you may want to look into them

slant6billy

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I just looked at a 2WD 1995 with a 5 speed tonight and to my surprise it had the trailing arms on the front suspension like a 4X4 and not A arms. The front axle is a tube with no differential. It has a 2WD trans and was never a 4X4... no shift boot. I guess there were fleet trucks like this? I expected it to be like my 97 1/2 ton ram 2WD front. I'll see if I can get a pic.

MiradaMegacab

Reaction score
I got a 2wd independent front suspension MegaCab.
Plenty of room in the back. The back doors are actually bigger than the front doors.

.jpeg

NoCar340

Reaction score
Gas 3/4 tons got the indy front. Diesels did not. The Dodge extended cabs actually went Quad Cab in 1998, not just 3rd door... they got the matching half-door on the driver's side.

Word to the wise: make sure you can afford a diesel. If you can't afford to pay an unexpected $3,000 repair bill, skip it. If you live in a cold climate, skip it. If you're looking at 12V trucks, the diesels aren't much better than a 360 gas unless you mechanically mod it; there's no such thing as a tuner for them. If you mod it and have an automatic, start saving for a new transmission because you're going to need it before long. If you have a manual, start saving for a clutch... and fork... and input shaft... and...

My diesel-lovin' buddy told me once I started working at the same diesel shop as him, I'd be all over diesel power. Now that I work there, no thanks. I used to think they were pretty cool and a lot of fun, but now there's no way I'd ever own one. Way too expensive, and too unreliable in the winter, period.

Back