Underhood lamp location & schematics

Strobo

Reaction score
Vehicle im working with, 88 Dodge Diplomat SE
Dumb question, actually two dumb questions,
1.Where is the hoodlamp located and switch that makes it come on located? I've look pretty hard with no luck.
2. Searching through my Haynes book for the hood light I keep see these symbols in the electrical schematics. It looks like a black Square. I attached pic with red arrows pointing to them.
Thankss

20210209_233135~2.jpg

Last edited:

GregG48213

Reaction score
underhood lamp
The black square refers to the bulkhead connector at the firewall. The number next to the square gives you the position in the connector where the wire passes through. If you have no wire going up to the hood (from the firewall), then you don't have this option.

Aspen500

Reaction score
The switch should be in the hood lamp itself, same as the trunk light. I don't think they're mercury switches (?) but work the same way.

69-

Reaction score
Haven't removed my trunk light switch, but I suspect it to be a mercury switch, as the light goes shortly on-off-on-off-on when quickly opening the trunk lid. That leads me to expect some liquid being the switch. Same should then apply for the hood lamp (mine doesn't have that). My 88 LTD Crown Vic has such a switch as well for the hood.

Aspen500

Reaction score
I'm not sure if it's a mercury switch or if it's mechanical, like a steel ball that kind of rolls back and forth in the housing that switches the ground on and off. Now I'm curious and have to find out, lol.

69-

Reaction score
Let us know. I was unable to look at the trunk switch in a way to see what it is. But inclination to do so was quite low. :cool::cool:

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
Hood lamp is on the hood if you have it but you probably don't. I forget if they got rid of it at some point but a lot of years have a punch out stamped in the hood insulation where it would go.

Strobo

Reaction score
Thanks all. Yeah guess maybe it was removed at some point. Only washer fluid line going to the hood. I didn't see any place cut out of the cloth material that's under the hood so who knows. Really thanks all.
Here's a shot of the under side. It's dark here so not a great shot

Strobo

Reaction score
The black square refers to the bulkhead connector at the firewall. The number next to the square gives you the position in the connector where the wire passes through. If you have no wire going up to the hood (from the firewall), then you don't have this option.
Just sending a double thanks. Didn't look like I did it right the first time. Ok later man

Back