Vacuum solenoid

picklesgarage

Reaction score
After a lean burn conversion do these solenoids do anything? Can they be removed? I'm trying to clean up my engine bay so planing to remove the computer wiring and such. I also need to clean up the wiring for the conversion, it was kinda just hacked in here and can't seem to find a good wiring diagram that shows what can be eliminated and what I still need, but that might be another post I'm trying to get stuff done while I got some time that doesn't cost anything and will give me room and make it look cleaner under hood. 86 5th Ave if it makes a difference. Thanks.

IMG_20200507_1413158_rewind.jpg

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
Ditch it and pull back the vacuum hoses to wherever they go. The vacuum diagram on the hood or fire wall should show where all the hoses go.

For the wiring you can follow the wiring diagram in the service manual to see what's needed out of the engine harness. Some of the engine sensor wiring can go but some is also needed for the dash. Everything going to the 2 computer plugs can go since they won't be doing anything.

picklesgarage

Reaction score
That's what I was thinking. Just didn't want to just take them out and actually need them for something. Figured with no computer they weren't doing much to start.

SRTMirada

Reaction score
I believe that one controls the egr valve and the other is for the air injector valve.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
If the air cleaner computer is gone, then they have nothing to do.

With that said, I do like AJ/FormS idea of re-proposing them (if needed).
I can think of a few possible things:
- Turn the hot water valve off for summer A/C usage.
- I have a trap door air cleaner which I will alter for my cars. The trap door normally opens when engine vacuum is low (ie: when your foot gets very heavy) – but there might be a time you don't want to hear all of that extra air being sucked into the engine, in a nosily fashion.
AC 72_340_02.jpg

- Exhaust cut-outs which are vacuum operated (instead of electric). Push a button and bypass those mufflers – if the opportunity presents itself.
There might be other uses, as well.
BudW

Back