vin decoder

Roadfury87

Reaction score
i need help decoding the vin on my 1980 roadrunner any body know a good site i could use or can decode it for me

Roadfury87

Reaction score
thanks alot but what exactly is the sequence number whats that supposed to mean lol is it the order is was built in

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
Big version no glasses required. Downsized it a little.

INF-PG-06.jpg

Last edited:

efriedrich

Reaction score
Thanks for posting Eric, I have been looking for this info for a week now.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I've been looking longer than that. Every time I go to my local Chrysler dealer to pick up oil filters, I drool at all the old manuals they have behind the counter.
Thanks again Eric. :icon_super:

kmccabe56

Reaction score
The sequence number only indicates the sequence in which the serial numbers were assigned by the scheduling people. The SO Number (Sequence Order/Special Order) Number contains a four digit date code and then a sequence number. There can be upwards of 50 cars with the same SO Number.

If you're able to find a sympathetic parts counter guy, the dealers now have the ability (back to the mid 1980s at least) to print out a list of all the equipment on a specific vehicle based on the vin.

kmccabe56

Reaction score
Parts books keep showing up on ebay. So if you've got the $$$ to invest, that's the way to go. Just make sure you ask anyone selling a parts book what the date is on it. There are 3 or more versions of the paper parts book for any one model year. You want one dated the year following the model year you're looking for. (January 1980 for a '79 book). ALL paper parts books will have "some" errors in them. The final editions will have the fewest. There were also parts books on microfiche, but they require a reader to be able to see them.

Back