VIN Identification help website

slant6billy

Reaction score
1975 to 1980 Chrysler Corporation V.I.N. system decoding

After yesterday's discovery of a possible Plymouth F body Vin in in a Dodge Dress.

H is for Plymouth Volare' and N is for Dodge Aspen

Now, I need to go back and see the actual number again. I'm pretty sure I saw what I saw.

Anyone have a fender tag identification system guide they can post?

Aspen500

Reaction score
I've got one that shows what some of the digits are for on the fender tag but only decodes engine, trans and build date codes. Tells where the paint and interior trim codes are but does not decode and it skips the entire first line and half the 2nd.
Probably not much help though.

slant6billy

Reaction score
I've got one that shows what some of the digits are for on the fender tag but only decodes engine, trans and build date codes. Tells where the paint and interior trim codes are but does not decode and it skips the entire first line and half the 2nd.
Probably not much help though.
Still. It is something I got to get smart with. I know my 79 is a slant6 2BBL car- originally. Not that I ever expect to part ways with the Frankenstein F body, but my fender tag has the codes for that, trans auto, and the X9 black paint. Someday it may go back to being black. Not anytime soon. It may go candy blue in 3 years, if my kid has her wish. I'm going to have to really get smart with the tag codes.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Sometimes it's almost better if you don't decode the tag, lol.
When I did mine, found out it came with the 90hp E24 S6 (Calif emission for an unknown reason). That explained a lot! Back in '87 BBB (Before Big Block) I got wasted by my buddies girlfriend in her bone stock base model '67 Camaro, 6 cyl, 3 on the tree. It actually was a CA car with CA emissions. I've tried to block the memory:eek: Helped also I suppose, her Camaro weighed in a good 800 pounds or more lighter..........Yeah, that's it, the car was lighter!:D

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
What's a Galen book?

The Galen book.

Has all the codes from 1975-1980

20160802_234200.jpg

kkritsilas

Reaction score
The Galen book is a book written by Galen Gouvea (spelling of the last name could be wrong), a "guru" of Chrysler Corp. history and VIN/fender tag decoding. He has written a book that details most of this. While it he is still one of the acknowledged authorities, some have started to question that. Nonetheless, his book is one of the few that deals with VIN and fender tag decoding.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
The Galen book is a book written by Galen Gouvea (spelling of the last name could be wrong), a "guru" of Chrysler Corp. history and VIN/fender tag decoding. He has written a book that details most of this. While it he is still one of the acknowledged authorities, some have started to question that. Nonetheless, his book is one of the few that deals with VIN and fender tag decoding.

True. Mr Govier's accuracy has come into question a few times but overall he still seems to be the authority on codes and VIN information.

kitcar Chris

Reaction score
Yes. Galen accused my kitcar one time of a fake at Englishtown. I almost decked him right there. His basis was " I have one of those,and that's not a real one." Till I almost made him eat the fender tag. Then he saw things my way of course.

But the book is great though. Take it everywhere.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Yes. Galen accused my kitcar one time of a fake at Englishtown. I almost decked him right there. His basis was " I have one of those,and that's not a real one." Till I almost made him eat the fender tag. Then he saw things my way of course.

But the book is great though. Take it everywhere.

I think senility may be creeping up on Galen.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
There have been insinuations of gross inaccuracies on Mr. Govier's part. Anything from certifying a fake car as genuine, and genuine cars as fakes. The mantle of most accurate historian is no longer his, seeming being passed to Rich Ehrenberg of Mopar Action, and even that is debatable. Either one of them is far more knowlegeable than me of course, but it is disturbing that there is no one absolute authority in authenticating Mopars. Not a huge deal in the case of our cars, but a bigger issue for things like Hemi 'Cudas and the winged cars.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Justwondering,
A while back, you asked about information about decoding a fender tag.
Chrysler codes changed somewhere between 79-84 (not sure when) to a different format. I don’t think anyone has kept up with all of the codes applicable to your ‘87 or my ‘86 5th Ave’s (I could be wrong).
The ‘76-80 F-bodies are more important to keep up with codes, I think.

In M-bodes, one of the important codes is the AHB (new code) / A38 (old code - I think) which is for police cars.

I have some of the codes - but only a fraction of what is out there.

Note: I was an active member of the '66-67 Charger forums for a long time, and some time back, a few of the members (there) said Galen Govier knew a lot - but didn't know '66-67 Chargers that well.
I don't know - but I will say I don't think one person knows everything there is to know about Mopars. If one person did, his head might explode.
Note: the '66-67 Chargers were a B-body and share a lot with other B-bodes of the time, but are still a different vehicle with as many differences as similarities.
One member there had documented about 2,000 (if memory is serving me correctly) mid-year and running changes, just in the two year run of that single car line

BudW

Aspen500

Reaction score
With Mopar's it seems someone can be an expert and rightly so, and then a car comes out of the woodwork that changes it all. Usually it's one that supposedly could never be built or wasn't supposed to be. The 426 Hemi and a 4 speed were't available in any 4 door sedans according to Chrysler but a few years ago there were like 4 of them found (I think it was, memory is a bit hazy). Never say never, even if all the documents known to mankind say it's impossible.

I had no idea there was a VIN decoder for Mopar's built after 1974. I've got to get out more!:cool:

Back