Vinyl decal removal on 78 Aspen blinker bezel

slant6billy

Reaction score
My budy's 77 wagon is utilizing a 78 grille, since a little accident a few months back. The Wagon is green. The grille came off a cream Aspen. The decal around the turn signals is some sort of sticker (color matched to the original car). Some of it peels and flakes off, but most is on there good. Any suggestions? I had it soak overnight in white vinegar and laundry detergent- hoping that just breaks the glue down enough with out destroying the plastic lense.

And what is with all the grey/ gray goopy stuff on the lense (like a gasket or sealer) Nasty gummy stuff. Hopefully the soak does that in too.

Any hints would be appreciated- thanks

My imp

Reaction score
Heat gun, I've done it for years. Be VERY careful not to overheat & blister the paint. I've removed the VIN stickers off of doors & re-installed them after painting a car with this method. When finished, there will be adhesive residue that can be removed with many different chemicals. Everyone has their favorite. DO NOT use ANY type of reducer (lacquer, enamel, urethane, etc..) or you'll eat the paint right off of the car. Naphtha, mineral spirits, Goo Gone, etc.. will work. Acetone may, but it may also affect the paint. If you have one, a non-metallic scraper will prevent gouging the paint. You don't want to melt the vinyl, just soften the adhesive. Good luck, hope this helps.

slant6billy

Reaction score
Thanks. Yep, I have had good heat gun experience and bad. Nasty solvents have eat'n stuff and disintegrated pieces on me. Hard to believe what will dissolve stuff. Hell, we all have tried the Pepsi / coke paint stripper trick and the dissolving of a nail in a glass of cola. The white vinegar is a little safer, but requires more elbow work. I use old hotel keys from my days on the road. The kind that are like a plastic card. I got the decal off and some of the grey goo on the back too. Now some more soaking.

My imp

Reaction score
Goo Gone shouldn't dissolve the plastic, that foam that turns grey or black with age is a pain in the arse. Naphtha works on that, I use it on plastic guitar parts with no trouble. When I re-did the seals on the digital dash, I used the naphtha on that as well.

Back