Volare 77 /6 to 400

Aka601

Reaction score
Will put on my Sniper efi but will start it on carb and brake it in. Nice to se the blue motor and orange air cleaner! Well, my project been slow latley. Mutch work and other things in life. But trans is now rebuild and engine is compleate and redy to install.
Made a big misstake believing it was just to delite the AC pump. Ended up buying every singel pully and new PS pump brackets. I put all receipts and invoices I have spent on the project in a white box. Will nerver ever look in that box )

Aspen500

Reaction score
I didn't save any receipts from building my Aspen. Don't know how much I spent other than it was a lot (darn snowball effect, might as well, while I'm at it, lol). Don't WANT to know the total :eek: and in the end, don't care. I've got the kind of car I've wanted to build since I was 12 years old (way back in '76) but had to wait another 30+ years to be able to do it, money wise. No regrets, no remorse even though other non-car related things had to wait.

Aka601

Reaction score
I got my car like thirty yers ago and drow it as a famely car for a year and stored it.
Well, a little progress: got my steering shaft shortend to fit PS shuck.

9EDAD3AC-2425-4251-965D-4E65C0ABC69D.jpeg

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Nice to see the blue motor and orange air cleaner!
Chrysler only used orange air cleaner paint from ’71-74 (I believe) – but don’t quote me on that.
My ’70 300-H has an orange engine with the same design air cleaner, that is wrinkle-finish black. The next year, all HP engines were blue with the orange air cleaner (on HP engines).
227771_Engine_Web_jpg.png

This is not my car, but what it will look like once finished.

Wish I had known you were going to convert to power steering. I have a couple of (P/S) intermediate steering shafts in my garage. The manual steering shaft, the one you just cut to length, is (or was) worth a lot of money and is a sought-after part. The coupler (not shown) is also different.
BudW

Oldiron440

Reaction score
The 72-73 400 4v air cleaner is the same as the 72-73 440 air cleaner ( not showen).

Aka601

Reaction score
Put my air cleaner on. The 400 have a Holley 3310, adaptor plate and rpm intake. Hight is 7.5 inches from the stick and top of lid on photo.
Looks to tall to fit under hood. Hope the Sniper efi dont ned the plate or I have to go back to factory intake. Input welcome.

AB23E8F4-21E5-40E8-A64B-3B82B73D12C0.jpeg

Duke5A

Reaction score
When I get home I'll measure my setup. Using an Edelbrock Torquer 383 intake with a Holley Sniper EFI on a 400 based 512. All fits under the hood with an open 3" filter.

Take another measure this time using the valley pan support rail as reference to the top of the carb. That point should be the same on all B blocks regardless of intake and valve cover differences.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I would avoid the original cast iron intake, except for last resort or for an exact restoration.
The aluminum versions (any aluminum version) would/should outperform any factory iron manifold. Most aftermarket aluminum manifolds have dual bolt patterns – but not all manifolds have the larger holes in rear (for spreadbore carburetors).
You mentioned you have a Holley 3310 which should be a squarebore carburetor.
Holley 3310-6.jpg

This picture is one on sale on eBay.
and an Edelbrock Performer RPM intake (7186) which is also squarebore.
Edelbrock Performer RPM 7186.jpg

Most of the 4-bbl appearing Sniper EFI units are also squarebore – so I’m wondering why an adaptor is needed.
550-511_08_v218283.jpg

The location you used for measuring air cleaner height (stick on top of valve covers) might not be the best location. Factory big block valve cover height has changed over the years (three times, that I know of) – unless you are using the same valve covers for your measurements. I would recommend using the intake/valley pan gasket retaining strips (front and/or rear - black arrows, below) for determining height. Also, keep in mind the (automotive) intakes are tilted (front is lower than rear).
361 intake.jpg

The stock (factory) intake carburetor flange height (base gasket to crankshaft centerline) is the same between 340 and 383/400. The 413/440 carburetor flange is about ¾” (19 mm) to 1” (25.4 mm) higher/taller. I ran across this problem with B-bodies with this style air cleaner system:
ramcharger.jpg

With aftermarket intakes, the sky might be the limit as to carburetor flange heights. The same also applies to any spacers between intake and carburetor – which you may or might not have.

I found this online about measuring intake heights – but this would apply to Chrysler small blocks, but not to Chrysler big blocks. Therefore, I still Recommend going by the front and rear rails.
Intake Height.jpg

Sorta unrelated, your carburetor height would be 3¼” (82.6 mm) Carburetor Height .
According to Holley’s web site, the EFI height is 3.28” (83.3 mm) – so not much difference.

According to Edelbrock’s website, the Performer 2186 intake has a manifold height of “A-3.65”, B-4.35, measured to engine block” which would not include the intake gasket or gasket rails, that I mentioned. The Performer 2186 is what I plan on using and is very close to the 4-bbl factory intake in shape/size.

They also say the Performer RPM 7186 manifold height is “A-4.90”, B-5.80, measured to engine block”. This would place the carburetor 1.35” (34.3 mm) higher – which might be a problem.
I would ask those members here who has a 383/400 installed into their FMJ body what intake manifold they are using – to avoid hood modifications. Those with RB engines (413-440’s) won’t help much sense the intake is different.

I chose the Performer 2186 sense I don’t plan on high RPM’s and didn’t want any hood clearance issues. That doesn’t mean the Performer RPM 7186 will not fit (hadn’t tried, myself).

Edelbrock Performer 2186.jpg

Performer 2186
Edelbrock Performer RPM 7186.jpg

Performer RPM 7186. You can see the height difference between the two.
BudW

Back