Voltage drop on reader, but not guage cluster

The Director

Reaction score
Yep! My '80 Monte Carlo has that same exact thing for Battery, Oil Pressure and maybe one other thing? Just a red light. Ugh!

Justwondering

Reaction score
My 92 year old uncle (Uncle Bob), bought his first new vehicle in his life in August.
New Chevy 1/2 ton truck, 2 door. Took forever to find one.
Took forever to get it delivered.
He drove it almost all of September. Once a day. 'To Town and Back' with his 91 year old wife (Aunt Doris).
Until every idiot light/notification came on.

He's been in a rental car for over a month, nearly 2 now.

There is a single point of failure in the electrical system ... one chip ... that when it fails, the entire vehicle loses it's mind. It called On-Star and reported a break-in while sitting in the lot at the dealership and having its 'low tire' light checked. The lights don't come on anymore, the display for the dash sometimes lights up, sometimes not, never shows anything accurate. Brakes don't work. You can drive it but no idea how fast you are going and, of course, you have to rely on the weight of the vehicle to slow you down. Apparently this is not uncommon with current, chip vehicles.

I'll take a shunt over that hot mess anytime.

My cousin and I are wondering if he is going to live long enough to get a fixed truck back to drive.

JW

Aspen500

Reaction score
Case in point, what was my dad's 2012 Charger with 5,100 miles on it (now my brother has it). From sitting so much, the left rear cv joint rusted under the abs tone ring. That pushed the ring out into the sensor. On those the ring is some kind of soft rubbery stuff with the magnet segments molded in and also molded to a steel inner ring that presses onto the cv joint.
A failure like that you'd think just the abs and tc would be disabled. You would be wrong. It puts the car into limp mode with reduced power and 4th gear only (8-speed auto). It also means the only way to put it in park is shut the car off. Problem with that is, the engine cannot be restarted until the codes are cleared.

Only way to fix it was a new lr axle shaft. This was spring 2022 btw before my brother and his wife came from MN to take the car home. Shaft from Mopar, backorder for at least 6 months, parts stores same deal, as was Summitt and Rock Auto. Got lucky and found it at Parts Geek and they showed one in stock. Couldn't hit place order fast enough, lol.

Short story long, my brother has had zero problens with the car (only drives it in summer) but all those weeks trying to get a part to fix a car made undriveable by a simple abs signal failure. Seems the ECM and TCM get their speed signals from the ABS module. Guess which sensor signal they get sent? Yep, left rear. That car is a 2012 and in the years since, cars and trucks have gotten 10 times worse. One minor failure and it's taking a ride on the rollback tow truck.

Sorry, didn't start out to write a novel.

Aspen500

Reaction score
You would really enjoy working on EV's. LOL
Nope, never happen, will never own one. Besides, the EV fantasy of the greenies is already starting to fall apart. I'm retired after 40 years of being an auto tech anyway!!!!!!!!!!!! Honestly, don't miss it one iota, lol.

Back