Wagon frustration

Mr C

Reaction score
Okay next is to test the coil in the relay,

To set up the test you need a jumper from yellow (bottom left on relay, labelled "I") to red to energize the coil in the starter relay.

Starter should operate.

Let me know what happens.

Kramer79

Reaction score
When I unplug the clip, yellow to red makes a click noise every time, but no cranks. Or do I need to leave the brown wire on for this? In other words do I bridge them with the clip still on? Thanks

Mr C

Reaction score
Bridge them with all the connectors on. Car should turn over.

This will verify that all is as it should be under the hood. Next step moves into the car.

Mr C

Reaction score
Okay, according to the FSM there are 4 possibilities:

1) Loose bulkhead connector;
2) Open wire from relay terminal "B" to ignition switch "Bat" terminal;
3) Open wire from relay terminal "I" to ignition switch;
4) Ignition switch contacts burned or corroded.

Check for wire continuity and the inspect ignition switch and you should find the issue.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Here is an "example" of an '81 ignition switch.
Ignition Switch SMP72155rq.jpg

It mounts to top side of steering column but under the dash.
BudW

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I got this picture from eBay.
86 Caravan SC.png

The red arrow is the ignition switch.

In this case ('86 Caravan column), anything detachable from the green line up is interchangeable with your steering column (all '80-90 Chrysler vehicles, except for Omni/Horizon or pickups – with minor differences on electrical items between the years and major differences if w/tilt or without tilt steering). That said, the firewall mounting, tube lengths, shaft lengths and dash mountings - FM bodies are different from all other bodies (and dash mounting is different between J body and FM-bodies).

All of the other items (switches, locks, steering wheels, bearings, levers, shifter arm, housings, tubs and covers are all the same (again, except between tilt and non-tilt columns). For what ever reason, Chrysler changed the electrical connectors every other year (or so) just to make the switches non-interchangeable (unless you also changed the connector(s).
BudW

Kramer79

Reaction score
image.jpg
Thanks, I have a new ignition switch, and when I plug the two connectors in, now nothing happens... maybe it grounds the switch when mounted to the steering wheel? Also, what is the purpose of this metal rod/clip? It is not in the old one... thanks

Kramer79

Reaction score
Maybe the clip goes underneath on the install and the rod catches it? -I’m sure I can figure it out, I couldn’t get the old one off as the ratchet won’t fit in the space... so I thought I would plug in the clips and see...

DCAspen

Reaction score
Drop the column to free up some space,Did you take the lower dash piece under the column off.

LSM360

Reaction score
Once I found that my ignition switch was just loose on the column. I had to tighten the two small hex head screws holding it to the column. I got it started in a parking lot by just moving the switch by hand (up or down, can't remember) just slightly, then it started. It had just loosened a little and moved only slightly, but enough to not start.

Edit: I think there are two, seen in picture, hex head screws holding it to column. I didn't have to drop column, just a tight squeeze.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Good job.
I have replaced many a ignition switch and I can say that I have forgotten to tighten those screws myself, a couple of times.
BudW

Kramer79

Reaction score
THANKS ALL... ignition switch replaced - cranks over like a champ! 17 degrees out so maybe after the snow tomorrow I’ll give it a better try... sprayed some ether and got a kick. Still wondering on that fuel pump but turning the key and having it crank is a “start” ... thanks everyone for all your help... I’ll either post a video or be asking for fuel pump replacement advice soon!

Good job.
I have replaced many a ignition switch and I can say that I have forgotten to tighten those screws myself, a couple of times.
BudW

Kramer79

Reaction score
It’s alive! Had to hand prime the fuel pump but it is running! Brakes left a trail or rust or something pulling out and just about almost slow the car, trans worked better after 1 quart... idles well, doesn’t like acceleration at all... one wiper works - on to the brakes I guess? Thanks again for all
The help

Mr C

Reaction score
Told you we could fix it!

Good job!

Back