Warning about today's Gas and Carburated Cars.

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
I had three bad instances with the ethanol they add to the gas. Seems if you let your old ride sit for a while the gas evaporates and leaves behind a sticky corn mess. My Shebly Dakota died twice on me. My Aspen wouldn't start because the needle valve underneath the shooter got stuck closed. And just lately I could not start the Gran Fury. Stuck float valve was the culprit. All issues have been resolved now and won't return. I use Lucas Oil Product's Safeguard Ethanol Fuel Conditioner. One 16oz bottle treats up to 80 gallons of gas.

484105761_L_16790ce9.jpg

Last edited:

compubert

Reaction score
wish I had taken pics of my carb, they would show everybody how bad this stuff is....

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Ethanol has been discussed on here before.
It's absolute crap and I hate it.
Luckily I can still get ethanol free here but it's premium......big bucks.
But worth it to me. Carb rebuilds and trashed rubber line replacement outweigh the cost.....not to mention my mileage is surprisingly better AND the car runs a million times better with a noticeable performance gain.
More than worth the extra......can't stand wood and corn gas.

Blackbirdsrt78

Reaction score
When alcohol is added to gasoline the volume of fuel needed to burn is increased and it is very bad for mileage.

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
I'm so lucky I can get 93 non ethanol near me.
And a little cheaper than Sunoco 94 with ethanol.

Canada uses wood alcohol rather than corn.

LSM360

Reaction score
Don't forget that some of these places that sell ethanol free may not contain enough detergent additives and you may want to add some each tank.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Don't forget that some of these places that sell ethanol free may not contain enough detergent additives and you may want to add some each tank.

Luckily shell plugs the crap out of their detergents in their gas.
I've been running the 91 for a few years now and my cars seen pretty happy.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I used it on my K&N air filer, in the oil, in the gas. kept everything very clean! good stuff but can make your car run different if overused in the gas.

I've heard it's good for an engine that's been sitting.

For gas....about every three tankfuls I chuck in a bottle of Lucas fuel treatment.
Engines all seem very happy.

compubert

Reaction score
Sta-bil regular and marine formula's both have ethanol treatment in them now, and if you REALLY want some pep-in-your-step swing by the local airstrip and top off with 115 av-gas. Some still has tetraethyl lead but you can always change the plugs after you embarrass a few stangs or camaro owners... ;-)

Ele115

Reaction score
If you buy one of those little ethanol test bottles, you might be surprised how much ethanol is actually in there at some stations. 17% is not uncommon.

Aspen500

Reaction score
We can get ethanol free regular and premium no problem, in this area and I use only guaranteed ethanol free premium in the Aspen (only not EFI vehicle I own). A couple years ago, an independent lab tested the "may contain up to 10% ethanol" fuel in the metro area and found levels of anywhere from 0-6% with the majority being under in the 0-3% range anyways.
At work I've checked various vehicles in for service with the CEL light on. On most flex-fuel vehicles, you can see the ethanol percentage on a scan tool. I rarely see one that doesn't show 0%. Reason we check is if, for example, the PCM thinks the percentage is 30% but it's actually 0% (or vice-versa), it can cause all sorts of fuel trim faults and driveability concerns.

Ele115

Reaction score
Since WaWa has come to Miami and Tampa, they have real honest to GOD ethanol free. That's all I buy now.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
I don't know why you're fretting over ethanol fuels I've been using them in everything since they came out carb or EFI with the exception of the PWCs. But I don't use Carter or Eldelbrock carbs either.

Back