Warning about today's Gas and Carburated Cars.

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
Sunoco, b/c I read it here .. pass 2 other branded and 2 private label stations for the nearest .. use their premium .. but it's not on the list of E-free .. no problems as yet.
So, one day I was in Windsor and noticed a lot of Esso stations and didn't see a Sunoco.
Thought I should add a little gas for the trip home.
Put $20 of Esso 92 and headed out.

20 minutes later, it was like there was a sock in the carb and I no longer could keep speed-and no place to bail off with big trucks approaching from the rear.
Crappy Esso gas strikes.
That was 5 or more yrs ago, but never had that happen again with good gas.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
So, one day I was in Windsor and noticed a lot of Esso stations and didn't see a Sunoco.

20 minutes later, it was like there was a sock in the carb and I no longer could keep speed-and no place to bail off with big trucks approaching from the rear.
Crappy Esso gas strikes.

I had the same thing happen. Filled up with Esso once. My car did NOT like it.

Darth-Car

Reaction score
I can not escape, being here in the middle of corn country; I think they put ethanol in our drinking water.

volareandgtcat

Reaction score

Crappy Esso gas strikes.

Wow, good to know .. and yes Sunoco are few and far between, the nearest one to me is actually in Windsor, but it's a short drive .. not like Petro Canada .. they're like Timmies .. one on every other corner .. and profits must be immense if they can compete with each other ... Esso was the last big name to take sulfur out of their gas .. I avoid them just for that reason, so I don't even notice them anymore.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
I don't know what is going on out East, but in Western Canada, the IOL (Imperial Oil or Esso, but they sold off their gas stations recently, so the relationship may no longer be there) refinery in Edmonton doesn't even have the ability to add ethanol in. The gas from IOL's refinery has no ethanol in it at all, and Co-Op gets all its fuel (gas and diesel) from the IOL's refinery. I think that the Esso gas stations used to as well, but now with the sale of the gas stations, it may change. I don't know anything about the situation out east, except to say that the company that operates the Esso gas stations out East is the one that bought the gas stations from IOL out here.

Aspen500

Reaction score
I haven't seen a Sunoco station for probably 40 years around here. Still remember that big yellow diamond shaped sign though!

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I don't know what is going on out East, but in Western Canada, the IOL (Imperial Oil or Esso, but they sold off their gas stations recently, so the relationship may no longer be there) refinery in Edmonton doesn't even have the ability to add ethanol in. The gas from IOL's refinery has no ethanol in it at all, and Co-Op gets all its fuel (gas and diesel) from the IOL's refinery. I think that the Esso gas stations used to as well, but now with the sale of the gas stations, it may change. I don't know anything about the situation out east, except to say that the company that operates the Esso gas stations out East is the one that bought the gas stations from IOL out here.

Not sure either but the Esso we get here is absolute garbage.

I haven't seen a Sunoco station for probably 40 years around here. Still remember that big yellow diamond shaped sign though!

Sunoco here got eaten by both Petro Con-ada and Husky.

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
Sunoco bought Petro Canada, but it was cheaper for them to switch Sunoco stations to the Petro Canada sign.
Only the Petro Canada stations that where Sunoco carry 94 octane.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Suncor and Petro-Canada merged a while back. Sunoco, meaning Standard Oil of California (US) wasn't part of this in any way. Sunoco stations haven't been owned by the US company for at least 20 years, if not longer.

volareandgtcat

Reaction score
Went to gas up and I've been using Sunoco 91 .. the attendant had a t-shirt on .. reading "So you think all premium gas is the same?" So I asked .. whats different with yours? ....... no ethanol ... bingo .. finally confirmed Sunoco premium contains no ethanol .. I've searched and nothing on the pumps, so I was always curious. The list of ethanol free gas makes no mention of this and actually has a Petro Canada listed that has 94 octane .. which we all know contains ethanol.

Aspen500

Reaction score
I'm not sure if it's a regulation or not but anything ethanol free around here, whether it's 87 0r 91 octane always has a sticker saying "ETHANOL FREE" on the pump and many times, on the price sign by the street. Most with ethanol free 87 octane have it in big letters out on the sign. More and more places have it now. It's almost like a revolution, lol! Quite a few have posters inside by the cashier counter listing the bad things about ethanol in the fuel, both to your vehicle and the environment. Near where I work, one of the stations had E85 but recently dropped it and now have ethanol free 87 octane instead. From what I heard, they've sold more ethanol free 87 in the last couple weeks as they sold E85 in an entire year.

volareandgtcat

Reaction score
dunno-smiley-emoticon.gif
How it happened .. but everytime I said Sunoco I meant Shell ........ Shell has the no ethanol premium !!!! Talk about egg on my face ... wanna know when it dawned on me ?? I pull into what was a former Sunoco station rebranded as Petro Canada and realized it was a Shell station down the road I wanted !!! Then it hit me and I thought WHAT HAVE I DONE TO THE FMJ BODIES forum !!! sorry everyone .. just call me a
jackass.gif

Justwondering

Reaction score
volareandgtcat ...
what's that quote .... "Call me anything you like, but don't call me late for dinner"

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
dunno-smiley-emoticon.gif
How it happened .. but everytime I said Sunoco I meant Shell ........ Shell has the no ethanol premium !!!! Talk about egg on my face ... wanna know when it dawned on me ?? I pull into what was a former Sunoco station rebranded as Petro Canada and realized it was a Shell station down the road I wanted !!! Then it hit me and I thought WHAT HAVE I DONE TO THE FMJ BODIES forum !!! sorry everyone .. just call me a
jackass.gif

Lol......these things happen.
I know where I am the only ethanol free gas there is available is Shell V Power 91.

AJ/FormS

Reaction score
On the Circle of the earth, Southern Man,Canada
I don't have the option of ethanol free around here. I tuned for 87E10 back in 2000 when it arrived here. I got no complaints with it. No running issues. No fuel system problems. No performance problems. No problems of any kind. I slowed my advance curve down a tad.
Since 1999 I figure I have saved over $10,000Can in fuel costs versus premium ethanol-free. Enough to build a mean stroker short block,with change left over, for suspension mods to help it stick.
'Course I didn't actually save anything, cuz I spent it on just living.
EDIT
I guess that's not 100% accurate. Every fall, before I park it, I put fuel stabilizer in it, and run it on the last nice dayof the summer. So I maybe prevented overwinter problems.
As a mechanic, I have been aware of others having problems, cuz every spring I have lots of fuel-system work!

Last edited:

kkritsilas

Reaction score
You've been lucky. I don't know that you would see many problems with a daily driven card, its more to do with what the ethanol does if it is left to sit around for a long period of time (say a few months). If you are burning it, not an issue, but if not, it sort of separates itself from the gasoline, and then starts doing its evil thing. It doesn't matter in more modern cars, as their fuel system is designed to stand up to ethanol; it is with older cars not designed to be ethanol compatible (because ethanol wasn't being used in fuel when those cars were designed/manufactured). Things like fuel lines deteriorating, carb floats (assuming they were not brass) no longer floating, intake and carb base gaskets leaking, carb passages getting clogged up, etc.

Also, you probably didn't save as much as you think you did. This is because your mileage (mpg or Km/100 L (due to the lower energy content of ethanol than the gasoline it displaced)) went down, and further dropped when you slowed down your advance curve, which can also drop gas mileage. Maybe you only lost 1 mpg, but over 17 years, it adds up. While you still might be ahead, it isn't a straightforward savings; you would have to do a lot of calculations. Also, in Calgary, there is no price difference between regular gas with or without ethanol. So no cost savings compared to ethanol free regular gas. There is a savings vs. premium ethanol free, but that cost savings is an apples to oranges comparison (regular, with or without ethanol is always cheaper than premium, so ethanol has not cost advantage vs. ethanol free regular); you probably would have had better savings with regular ethanol free vs. ethanol regular, as you would have had better gas mileage with the regular ethanol free than you did with the ethanol regular.

Back