What is it? Dual Vacuum Solenoid?

Justwondering

Reaction score
I am not sure what this is.
I have a small grey hollow line (1/8 inch) and a small black hollow line (1/8 inch) coming out of the firewall just to the left of the wiper motor.

The grey line has been chewed off and I don't know where the end of it is.
The black line is still there and looks like it connects into the top of the engine just behind the carb.

These two lines come out of a round connector that is in the firewall.

There seem to be three 'connections' at the back/topside/center of the engine.
The one on the left is for the Choke heating element.
The one in the center seems to be the Charge temperature switch?
The one on the right is ?? kinda behind the carb and I think it is a vacuum line that is coming from the brake booster and has several 'stems' on the connection.

Darth Car let me bother him at work and said 'look at the vacuum diagram on the underside of your hood' like 4 times before it dawned on me he was working and didn't have time for my insane questions. My apologies Brian.

So I looked at that diagram and the 4 diagrams on pages 25-8 to 25-9 in the service manual and I'm guessing this is:
1. to heater a/c control
or
2. manifold source
or
3. double solenoid

I don't know... my picture has my thumb in front of it so I need to take another picture tomorrow.

I'm certainly feeling like a doofus on this tonight.

Is it just me or is the service manual index worthless?

JW

Hayzoos

Reaction score
Both of those lines are for the heater a/c control. The black one supplies vacuum to the control in the dash. The grey one goes to the valve on one of the heater hoses on the passenger side of the engine compartment. I think the heater valve is open without vacuum, meaning the coolant flows through the heater core and heat is available. It closes when there is vacuum, so no coolant flows, no heat. It has vacuum when the control is in the off position and the max a/c position.

With it chewed off you will have a vacuum leak when the control is off and on max a/c, engine idle will be rough.

There is a tee fitting somewhere under the dash where the grey line connects to a dark green line which controls the fresh air door. I would first try finding the right size rubber line to snugly fit over the grey line under the hood and patch it over to the heater valve. If that wasn't working, I'd try connecting to the tee under the dash and getting it out to the engine bay to the heater valve.

Justwondering

Reaction score
okay, I found a picture online that looks like it is the grey line thats been chewed.

I added some yellow arrows so you could tell what I think is missing.
It definitely is there from below the wiper motor on the right, to about halfway over the engine bay.

1987-chrysler-fifth-avenue-base-sedan-4-door-52l-5-yellow-arrow.jpg

Aspen500

Reaction score
Already mentioned I think but, windshield washer hose is usually (not always) the exact size to repair vacuum tubes.

LOL, I never knew vacuum tubes could be fixed. Used to get new ones at Radio Shack.:p

Justwondering

Reaction score
I FOUND IT!!!

The other end was snaked down beneath all the other hoses.
Exactly like what Hayzoos recommended.

Didn't have any 1/4 inch hose to repair it with.
Didn't have a connector.
So rather than do the 50 mile round trip to town, it is temporarily repaired with 2 layers of heat shrink.

Meanwhile, the charcoal canister has been removed and it is indeed spilling its guts out of one of the openings.

Since it appears to be sonic welded, I'm going to have to figure out my next move.
This is like playing chess and the car is always got the winning move.
Hmmmm

JW

Duke5A

Reaction score
Does your county do emissions checks? I wouldn't even bother replacing the charcoal canister. Rip it out and seal off the vacuum source at the T running to it.

Justwondering

Reaction score
Let an piece of plastic conquer me???
Oh no no no no ..... I can't walk away from this tribulation...

I've already replaced the thermostat in the Chevy Truck this afternoon so it can give me heat when I have to make runs into town for parts next week. lol

Besides, Aspen500 and Darth Car need something to look forward to this winter.

JW

Aspen500

Reaction score
Yes! We need some entertainment to get us through the long, cold winter!:D

JW, you seem to be like I am. Once you get on a something it becomes a quest that must be finished, no matter what. "There's got to be a way" :cool:

Justwondering

Reaction score
I looked at the vapor canister today
BUT
went over to the Silverado and started it so I could check for leaks around the new thermostat I installed yesterday.
No leaks!
However, not much improvement of heat.

I pulled the blower motor and found two thin, black 2 inch plastic pieces but no acorns or leaves.

Tuesday is supposed to be warmer (60) so I'll get some line and back flush the heater core.
And take the vapor canister down to cut it open.

I'm going with jbweld for plastic to put it back together.
Right now, just figuring out how I'm going to cut it apart.

JW

Justwondering

Reaction score
bought 6 foot of wiper size vacuum line.
I'm ready to replace the tiny lines if needed.
JW
when its warmer of course

Back