What Speedo Cable

87dipmat

Reaction score
I'm currently working on my sons 87 Diplomat switching it from the 318/904 combo to a 360/727 combo.
I'm eliminating the cruise control stuff as well. So for those that have done this swap before what have
you done for a speedometer cable?

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
On Rock Auto probably either of the 80" cables will work. The transmission makes no difference.
You could probably get the cable anywhere but that gives you an idea and some part numbers.

LSM360

Reaction score
I could swear I used a 62" one on mine w/o cruise but I think the factory one was 59". I can look for part # in my manual later tonight. I'd try and get a NOS mopar one, then pull the cable from housing and grease again. The repro's are so damn cheap and crap quality.

Last edited:

Fresh Air Inspector

Reaction score
Hello 87Diplomat,

What are you planning on doing with the cruise control bits you removed from the car? I would be interested in the complete system or whatever you have.

Let me know.

87dipmat

Reaction score
Ill have to talk with my son to find out what he did with the parts.

LSM360

Reaction score
I should've thought of getting you the part number. I'll get it and if I were you I'd consider buying a NOS one if you can find at reasonable price. The aftermarket ones are absolute junk. You can even see that in pictures. Granted, they are only $10 or so but if he's going to keep the car for any amount of time it's worth it. I got a NOS one for my 1979 Power Wagon. I pulled the cable from housing and relubed with "Fifth Wheel Grease" (super silky grease doesn't freeze). Wow the speedometer was so smooth after that.

Back