what Vacuum line is this?

SonOfaTomP

Reaction score
luckily my car is exempt from emissions regulations. was just wondering if that would make the car run any better. bad egr can make the car idle rough right? i'll look into it. might just go and buy a new one as this one looks old anyway

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
It wouldnt hurt but I've always found if the EGR valve is carboned up so is the passages for it. You can test both the valve and if any of it is clogged up by putting vacuum to it at idle. If you get it to open at idle it should make the engine run rough and want to stall. If opening it has no effect it's blocked. But it shouldn't be causing problems unless something is holding it open.

SonOfaTomP

Reaction score
Yes it looks like it's right to the barbed end. You might have enough hose there to cut the cracked part off.
cutting off that cracked end has fixed the problem that has plagued my car since i got it! only 1 year and over $300 later a cracked vacuum hose was the whole or a majority of the problem! took it out at least 4 times since then with no clicking, no stalls only some minor shaking. gonna replace my thermostat and clean up that egr and see if that fixes anything as the car runs a bit hot and the temp gauge doesn't work. what a journey its been.

SonOfaTomP

Reaction score
It wouldnt hurt but I've always found if the EGR valve is carboned up so is the passages for it. You can test both the valve and if any of it is clogged up by putting vacuum to it at idle. If you get it to open at idle it should make the engine run rough and want to stall. If opening it has no effect it's blocked. But it shouldn't be causing problems unless something is holding it open.
it seems everything in the engine has been plugged but i can still hear the distinct hiss of a vacuum leak from underneath the dash. pretty sure these are the multi colored heater hoses that come apart on just about all of these cars. would these really affect car performance? plus why do they always hiss not just when the heat is on? its off as its the dog days of summer. could anything else under the dash be producing a hissing sound and/or vacuum leak? car is an 88 non AC Fury

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
That should be the only thing. It will always have vacuum going to it even when the heater is off the same way a switch always has power going to it even when it's off.
It shouldn't affect performance much if at all but it's still a leak.

SonOfaTomP

Reaction score
if it doesn't affect performance i wonder why the car still acts up. can't find anything in the engine. the car jolts a bit and a clicking noise can be heard from the air door in the dash. this has led to a stall in the past but lately its been fine. a few clicks and it goes back to normal

Back