Whats this thing called?

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Whats this thing called and do I need it? It doesn't really bolt up to the old no lock up trans very well, I am thinking to leave it off, at a guess its a vibration damper???

IMG_20170813_112336.jpg

Thanks
Bruce

Aspen500

Reaction score
That's exactly what it is. More technically, a harmonic vibration damper. It's to eliminate a drone or harmonic resonance in the car. When the vibration frequency of the driveline matches the natural harmonic frequency of the body, drone (for lack of a better term)............No, it isn't necessary.

Bruceynz

Reaction score
I have stripped of so much junk on my car! log manifolds are gone, cast iron intake gone, all these bits of metal things attached to the under side of the car are gone! But have added stuff like sway bars, heavy 100 spoke chrome wheels, so maybe all my weight savings is balanced out with all my bling :confused:

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
This is a picture taken from my ’77, a few moments ago. It has a slightly different design than yours.
20170822_182901 r.jpg

There are a few different designs of the weights they have used over the years.

The black arrows show where and direction your weight bolted onto the transmission tail housing (yours only used the last two bolt holes).

I do know that Chrysler spent a lot of money to design, make and install those weights and I’m sure they had a very good reason to do so.

Now with that said, I have forgotten to install my share of them and hadn’t had a single customer complain about it.
Also, I have never re-installed one on my own vehicles, either. I can’t say I missed it or if it is an issue, then I hadn’t ever noticed it being there (or not being there).

It might be one of those things that effects maybe 10% of cars and I might have just been lucky to have not messed with one of that 10% - maybe (me shrugs).

Note: they do make a great paperweight and/or door stop.
BudW

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Bud I binned it! its gone to the great scrap metal heap in heaven! I biffed off to the mopar gods! Enjoy mopars gods, melt it down and turn it back into a hemi!

I can't wait to get my 360 mag going, my wife is dropping it off to the machine shop on Friday and they will install new cam bearings.

Last edited:
Back