Where’d my spark go?!

Camtron

Reaction score
Car died out coming home yesterday. Idle started to break up and it died out sitting in traffic.
Spark is super weak.
New battery (since it wouldn’t crank when it died)
Fresh ballast resistor
Tried two different ignition modules... still have super weak spark and the car won’t start; cranks great though with the new battery.
So, now looking at the coil and distributor (msd blaster 2 and ProForm distributor).
All very ill timed during one of the worst snow storms we’ve had in the last 7 years.
At a bit of a loss at the moment. All my electrical test equipment is at my work that I can’t get to. Got bent over for the tow home (after a near 4 hour wait) so, I don’t have money for both a coil and distributor till Friday.
Really made for a shitty, Monday, lol.

Camtron

Reaction score
Yea, that’s what I’m leaning towards.
After a little reading, it seems you can’t mount the MSD blaster coils in a horizontal position; and I did just that using the “factory” mount location on the rear of my intake. MSD makes a, High Vibration coil that’s epoxy filled instead of oil filled like the blaster series, and those coils can be mounted in any position but, just vertical for the, Blaster coils.
Off to get a new coil now.

Duke5A

Reaction score
Yea, that’s what I’m leaning towards.
After a little reading, it seems you can’t mount the MSD blaster coils in a horizontal position; and I did just that using the “factory” mount location on the rear of my intake. MSD makes a, High Vibration coil that’s epoxy filled instead of oil filled like the blaster series, and those coils can be mounted in any position but, just vertical for the, Blaster coils.
Off to get a new coil now.

The seals in the oil filled coils with eventually fail if not mounted upright. Had the same issue probably 20 years ago now with a Blaster 2 mounted sideways on the firewall.

Camtron

Reaction score
Fired right up with a new, blaster 2 coil relocated vertically on the firewall. Damn expensive lesson learned.
#alwaysreadtheinstructions

Camtron

Reaction score
Glad she's up and running again. Stay warm and dry.
Man, likewise.
I don’t think I’ve felt my toes since, Monday afternoon. Happy the coil got it going; sneaking suspicion it will clear up a couple tuning issues I developed a couple weeks ago too.

Back