Window motor/gear rebuild

kingoftooland

Reaction score
I’m sure this sounds redundant yet another issue I’m dealing with my old fifth Avenue for longest time my driver side door had a window that kept drooping took the window motor apart and I found plastic shrapnel anyone know where you can get a rebuild kit because I know my passenger side front going to go soon to

image.jpg

Ele115

Reaction score
I always used a stick of 9/16" Nylon rod and cut three rollers from it. I am pretty sure I still have a stick if you can't find what you need. I used to do hundreds of these. Let me know

Magnum Aspen

Reaction score
Another member posted a thread on a method that worked for him. It is a sticky thread in the interior and electrical section. I have not tried it, but it seems interesting.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Chrysler used the same power window motor design from early ’70’s to mid ‘90’s with a few of exceptions.

One is they had a Left and a Right facing motor. What might be a “Left” motor for a C-body might be a “Right” motor for an M-body – so using the term “Left” and “Right” is hard to do except from same year/model and door style.
77 R PW Motor.jpg
77 L PW Motor.jpg

Through the years, Chrysler used several different electrical plugin connectors. In many cases, you must cut and solder new ends onto the motors because there wasn’t any way to switch out the connectors.

The good news the electrical motor portion rarely goes bad. 99.99% of the time, the plastic gear inside of the motor goes bad and a quick change of the gear gets you back working again. The plastic gear is the same for all years Chrysler power window motors that look like the one above.

This is a link from For C Bodies only which is good How to rebuild Chrysler Power Window motor clutch assembly .

The repair kits are not too expensive (about $10-20 each from rockauto.com).
Annotation 2020-01-22 162345.jpg

This is another option from O’Reilly Auto parts.
Annotation 2020-01-22 163007.jpg

Just do a good job cleaning everything up and use a liberal amount of grease when going back together.

Those gears are made to self-destruct to prevent cut-off fingers. The problem is the gears just “self-destruct” over time. More specifically, the three plastic pucks disintegrate.

I’ve heard where people will grind down nuts or use plastic (or wood) stock for the puck replacement, but I’m a bit reserved on using those for they are designed to keep a person from loosing a finger or a limb if stuck in the power window.
Not seen it tried before, but I would guess if a person stuck their head out of a 4-door car, the power window motor might sever it - guillotine style, maybe.
BudW

Elwood P Dowd

Reaction score
I actually used a round pencil cut of in 1/2" sections and it worked while I was waiting on the gears to arrive from RockAuto

kingoftooland

Reaction score
never thought of that I cant rember the dorman number but just use the 3 lil nubs n toss the dopy gear they give you because I tried to use all that was supplyied n pow! the cheap metal gear broke all the teeth off so I just used my old gear n no more problems

Back